My brother took my mother in when she could no longer live on her own. Should he be compensated?

Asked by

She is not bed ridden or anything it was unsafe for her to live on her on because of falling.he did give up a room in his house and she would have to pay dto live anywhere else. what monthly comsensation should he receive. I do not know what is fair.

Answers 1 to 2 of 2
We are in the same situation. I would like some adive on this topic. My MIL has her own bedroom, bath and shared famliy room and galley kitchen. I have not asked for any money. All food and beverages are provided, laundry supplies amd paper toiletries. Is it reasonable to ask for $400 per month or $100 per week to ofset the additional expenses to the family?
Top Answer
Personally, I would not charge my Mom rent if she were to live with us. However, your Mom/Mil should be pitching in for food, utilities, gas money for travel, etc. And, of course, she should be buying anything that is for her personal or medical care.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support