Where can you buy coconut oil in a drug store or a grocery store and does it really help?

Mother has dementia, does not eat much but does like toast in the morning does it have any flavor if she put it on the bread. I am willing to try anything.

15

Answers

I meant Patent rights, not copyright.

Drug companies have a hard time getting copyright rights on food products. Except companies like Monsanto that are able to copyright seeds.
Coconut oil is beneficial to the mind and body. Is it a cure for Alzheimers, it has never been proven. Does it help the body, absolutely!

Boost better than coconut oil? Well.... best read the label. You can begin with a teaspoon of coconut oil and work your way up to 2 tablespoons.

Coconut is a laxative.

If coconut oil helped slow the progression of Alzheimer's the drug companies would be all over it. It's just a myth.

If you start giving her coconut oil, first use raw coconut oil, not the Nutiva type stuff that you find in the grocery store that is used for cooking. That stuff will give diarrhea.
Start with a small amount, like a 1/2 tsp. in her coffee, in cereal, melted on top of bread, etc. You can work your way up to 2-3 tbsp. per day.
I add coconut oil to my green smoothies in the morning and have never had an issue with diarrhea.

I do know that my mom has a horrible diarrhea problem. I am going to have to figure out what foods cause her problems first before I start adding things like coconut oil into her diet. I am going to change her from dairy milk, which does cause her diary, to either powdered goat's milk or coconut milk. If either of those don't work then I will switch her to homemade almond milk.

I asked my mom's doctor about Coconut Oil and he recommended she start with 1 teaspoon twice a day because of the possibility of diarrhea. Right now my mom takes Vitamin C and stool softners because of iron and blood pressure medicine.

But I bought some virgin Coconut Oil because I read the refined Coconut Oil was not good for the heart.

The doctor also told me to make sure she was taking B12 because that really helps.

So we are going to try and see what happens.

Golf, I read that somewhere here, too. But several people commented about the diarrhea. You're suppose to start out small and then work you way to the correct measurement. I still don't see why you want to swallow coconut oil. Oil is oil. I don't care that so-and-so study proves this or that. Here on island we don't injest it! We use it for massaging...so funny...these different ideas.

At my HEB coconut oil is in the same shelf area as Crisco type products ..higher end side near the good Olive Oil. In same type can container as Crisco. Good luck.

Book. I put it in her oatmeal. She liked it but the poops were awful.
That is what I heard to do (on this forum) take it internally

I have never heard that coconut oil is a cure for Alzheimers.Extra virgin coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature, is very beneficial in many ways. I use it as a butter substitute to spread on toast, and also on my skin. I nave never experienced any diarrhoea from it. Try reading the book The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin to get the inside story on coconut oil.