Does coconut oil help people who have Alzheimer's disease?

I haven't seen anything about ingesting coconut oil to battle Alzheimer's & dementia on any mainstream TV shows yet. However my dad called me earlier today and told me to turn on TBN because they were going to have an episode about coconut oil. What they showed was pretty amazing, or at least hopeful. Apparently not everyone can break down glucose in their bodies, which the brain needs for health. Without the glucose, the brain dies. Coconut oil is supposed to have 'keytones' (don't know about the spelling) which take the place of glucose and can travel to the brain to feed it. They have shown marked improvement in not only Alz/dementia patients, but also those who have MS, ALS and Parkinson's. Basically anyone that needs brain help it sounds like to me. You can use it in place of butter and cooking oil they said. It looks nasty in the jar to me, but it melts down pretty good so it can be swallowed by teaspoon, which is what the news lady said she does. Only 0.3% of money raised for Alzheimer's goes into research, so whether they actually will follow thru with this coconut oil idea I don't know. 5 million people have Alzheimer's in the U.S. alone, and the reporter said that Medicare won't survive unless they find a cure. Scary.

51

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
ALL fats -in excess-, that is, eat too much all at once, can cause bowel accidents.
ESPECIALLY if one has been existing on a low fat diet, then splurges on something like a cup of real eggnog, or some really good ice cream---that makes for instant whoops!

Virgin cold-pressed, organic coconut oil has components that can heal & protect, in ways other fats can't.

KEY: moderation!
Use a teaspoon at a a time--never take a big spoon of it all at once, if one is not used to eating fats.
ALTERNATELY:
One can use this oil for skin care, as there will be some good stuff absorbed thru the skin, bypassing the digestion.
Coconut oil is somewhat germicidal, killing off some pathogens, so for aging skin, it's a godsend!
Plus, it does NOT stain, & easily washes off with water.
It's great stuff!

But please avoid the deodorized bleached version--that has been processed in ways unhealthy for taking into the body
--high heat & chemicals destroy some components; makes it non-potable--that version is only good to use in soap or candle making---sellers rarely make that clear.

There are a number of older cultures that have a daily habit of drinking hot buttered tea of one kind or another. Good fats, tea--good stuff---those ancients were pretty smart, considering modern folks largely still seem to think they were just a bunch of knuckle-dragging Neanderthals!

Coconut oil may cause many more bowel accidents, watch out for severe diarrhea. We never tried it because of the likelihood of messes to clean up. We have enough problems with this as it is.

The claims for coconut oil and Alzheimer's have been flooding the internet for years. The initial report came from TV interviews with Dr. Mary Newport who saw dramatic change for the better in her Alzheimer's-afflicted husband Steve. This prompted the coconut-oil-for-Alzheimer's bandwagon. Thousands of people must have tried it as a result. The Alzheimer's Association has commented that, given all the hoopla, we'd see dancing in the street's if it worked for many people. Still some individuals may get good results either from the coconut oil or the placebo response. The first scientific study is underway with results expected next year, I recently did a blog post testing the coconut oil claim against five criteria recommended for evaluating health claims. Coconut oil didn't score too well. See bit.ly/195Av1i

We have been using "Cold processed Coconut Oil" for years now. Both my husband and I. As of a year and a half ago, we started giving it to my MIL in her coffee. It helps also in keeping her skin from drying out, plus the benefits of coconut oil for the brain! Seems to me that anything that is "not poisonous", natural occurring and that have been used for centuries as useful aids to the human body, should be of interest to all??!! We are a society of "Pill Pushers", if it isn't in a pill than most are inclined to poo-poo the idea of alternative medicine. Weather it be homeopathic or folk...? But bear in mind ..."how far do you think we would be", if the "Natural" remedies that our fore bearers used, did not work....??? Oh, and FYI...just because the FDA hasn't okayed it , does not, by any means justify that it does not work. Just putting this info into the mix, because we don't have to always " Ask permission" to help our own family members. Nor do I want any negative comments. Just trying to be helpful to the next person since we have had no side effects from doing this. Good luck in your search and God Bless

there were some reports on various foods helping with Alzheimer's, but they changed the report the next day. So it is hard to tell if anything really does work and what would make matters worse with the disease.

Ive heard it makes slight improvements in d/als but will not stop the disease as for us and younger people if we start now then it could prevent us from getting this ive been on it 6mths although my mums dementia is diabetes related im not taking any chances I also take KRILL oil which is good to brain,heart and eyes!

I'm not a scientist, but everything I've read about coconut oil is positive ... so I add it to my coffee every morning!!! Delish!!!

we also put a few grains of tumeric in his tea a few times a day. he won't drink tumeric water as we do, so now we put it in his tea or coffee. it is also very good for brain health in dementia patients. just a few grains, only enough to turn the water a very light yellow. if its orange is too much. and then i use tumeric in soups and stews as well. we're just starting with coconut oil so hoping that will have some effect.

bhattathiri,

I whole-heartedly agree, as long as both are unprocessed, unadulterated.
[not heated, not homogenized, preferably raw, organic]
Importantly, getting these from local sources when able.

The healthier we become, the more life asserts itself, and the less disease happens.
It would serve the world greatly, on so many levels, to deeply study and revive successful, effective ancient knowledge and practices. There is much to be learned from texts and practices many thousands of years old.

1 2 3 4 5