TheirDaughter Asked December 2011

My mom keeps wearing the same old sweater. Are there any clothing stores that cater to the elderly?

Mom keeps wearing same old sweater that needs replacing. Where do I look for nice looking, basic clothing for her? Everything seems to be so trendy. The sweater she has is nice because the buttons are basically large plastic snaps. But, it's worn out and shabby. I tried JC Penny online, but I cannot seem to find anything she would wear. The plain cardigans seem to be short with small buttons she would not be able to use. Are there any clothing stores that cater to the elderly?

18

Answers

sunflo2 Feb 2014
Yes, anything with elastic and easy to slip on and off. You can always "adapt" clothing like blouses or cardigans by leaving the placket of buttons and just adding large snaps or Velcro tabs on the existing placket, that way they can help dress themselves and have look of buttons but not fumble with the buttons.

Also, you can always buy a couple colorful scarves (target avail at less than $10) to dress up something plain.

You can but some larger sizes t-shirts and then cut them down the front, adding buttons or Velcro tabs so the can more easily slip on or off without pulling over their head.

My mom wears the same couple things as well with closets full of stuff. I think if I was there to clean out her main closet and just hang a few things it would be easier for her to make decisions. I think with dementia, it's overwhelming with too many choices. As long as the same outfit is clean and not ragged, I don't mind what she wears. She has a hideous wig that she insists on wearing when we go out, it's the only thing I put my foot down on and tell her we won't leave the house if she wears the wig. Lol.

pamstegma Feb 2014
Can you find the exact same sweater? I know I have my favorites and I wear them until my daughter insists they be thrown out. And please, if she likes black (I do) stick with black or other dark colors. Everyone has their own color palette. From another old lady... 62.

amy109 Feb 2014
I am sorry for repeating Eddie! Just saw your post. I have had wonderful compliments and I just say that I bought the outfit from a local boutique. If they ask, I tell them Sally Ann's.

amy109 Feb 2014
Please, please don't be grossed out by this! I have shopped the thrift stores since 1989. I am blessed in that I don't have to; I want to. I have found the most beautiful cashmere, brand new boots, jeans and whatever at less than 10 dollars each. Just found 2 Land's End cashmere sweaters for $2.00 each. Consignment stores are also well worth going to. By all means, don't do this for your mom if it would upset her. My mom doesn't like the idea because she is very proud, but she is happy to wear my clothes. I just never told her where I got them. :)

TheirDaughter, tell your mother she's not wearing clothes for other people's good - just her own! My mother has the bad habit of keeping 'good' things for special occasions, then knocking around in tatty old sweatshirts almost all of the time (assuming I can persuade her to get dressed at all). But she's incredibly lucky that she looks great in strong, bright colours; so when I sneaked a red cashmere cardigan (probably a long-ago Christmas present) on to her when she wasn't paying attention, she got compliments all day long - not on the cardigan, but on how well she was looking. Nice clothes are good for morale, even if you are the opposite of a fashionista.

Darn it, I thought I had proofed before submitting. I meant "sweater" not "swather," whatever that's supposed to mean!

Eddie, thanks for the great feedback. Hey nothing wrong with the Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. In fact, my mom was thrilled when she and my dad found a $3 purse at St. Vincent's! I actually did think about going there to look for a swather for her.

To be honest, money is not an issue here. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but as I said, clothes were never a big deal to either of my parents. When I say something to my mom about her clothes she will say, "no one notices old people anyway." She's not unhappy about this, it's just something she wants me to know.

I'm hoping she'll like the sweater I did find for you online and then maybe I can get her another one in a different color!

Eddie Dec 2011
TD:

Since you live in WI, check out the Salvation Army Thrift Store @ 4636 E. Washington Ave. in east Madison, (608) 249-5713. Don't forget churches. Tell them you can't afford much, but can make a $10 donation.

I know there's nothing like clothes no one has worn before; plus the strange satisfaction from the whole hunting-for-clothes experience. It'd be nice if we could always find that custom fit, but caregivers -- unless they're rich -- have to live in an off-the-rack world.

I hear male co-workers brag about their $60 designer shirts and the new car they just bought; then complain about outrageous cellphone bills they incur while talking BS with some "babe" that couldn't care less. Image is more important to them than having food in the fridge.

1/3 my wardrobe comes from the SA. $2-5 business shirts / pants, ties, shoes that make me look like a supermodel and feel like a million. I might take home $2,000+ every 2 weeks, but there's nothing wrong with a bargain. ... Especially when you know how to be poor.

Thank you, I haven't looked at Kohls.

I got my moms clothes at Woman Within, Blair, and Roamans online. Check out their clearances too, they have great stuff and my mom has a ton of beautiful clothes. Other than online Khols has nice sweaters . Good luck!