Can I claim my husband since I am his caregiver?

I take care of his medicine copays and I am recently getting paid by agency to be his caregiver for 2 hrs . I also have 2 children I know I can claim anyhow but since I am in in Az how would I work it when i file online. He has list of medical problems but still hanging tough but he doesn't deal with the financials so it is all up to me his wife to handle this. I need more wisdom and support. Currently we recieve Foodstamps/Medicaid/Medicare. SO any input would be a delight once i get a chance to file at the end of this wk and since I can claim do I file as Head of Household instead ?

24

Answers

1 2 3
Also you can not claim head of household if you are married living with your husband.

Do not go to H&R Block. Their training only touches on the basic type of tax returns. Your situation is too indepth for them to help with your tax issues. A tax accountant certified in your state is your best solution.

I know it has been a long time since this question was posted. When in doubt about tax issues, call the IRS. This is pretty simple...if you are married and not separated file married, jointly. Your husband is not your dependent. If you need answers about state income taxes call your state tax agency for help. I don't know about your state, but Medicaid usually will cover prescriptions so it's not clear why you would be paying co-pays.

Contact the IRS and ask for form 120. Or ask them for the proper form. It is possible even if you file jointly!

He would have to go to phx for therapy etc and that is all day affair...hard enough to pay the sitter as it is. He won't go to the daycare here in town for adults...he prefers family over other patients with down or similar conditions to him. His family only care so much and do not bother unless its money and I am expect to inform them of everything which I do not have time for. My own family is barely holding on to each other after losing a grandmother last yr before thanksgiving. I moved here hoping to get the best care for him and so far it is stll the same bs. Next yr will be a lil easier I hope cuz my son will be in kindergarten and my daughter in 1st grade...the bliss of almost quiet house will be wonderful. i did get the taxes done to much chagrined filing jointly was the only way to go so I couldnt do any write offs until next yr and I do not even begun to wonder how to do that. As long as I have breath in my body and God embracing me I can do this...just too hard to see him like this way...

My heart goes out to you.

One other thing Christie, is there any type of physical therapy available for your husband? Check with SSI or social services.

Apology accepted!! I understand your stress and how overwhelming it can be. Is there any way you can put your husband into adult day care 1-2 times a week for a few hours? It would help you so much to have that time for yourself to do other things or just to relax while the children are in school or day care (head start). Also if you have any family members or friends of your husbands who can come by for a couple hours once a week would make such a difference for you. Please check into what social services can offer you. I don't know the law allows for the state of AZ in cases like this, but you never know, they may be able to help you. Please follow up on the Family Caregiver's Alliance. I wish you the best and God Bless!!

I apologize for my earlier statement and i am sorry if I read it out of context was a very frustrating day with the kids and all. I can't claim as dependent until he is 65 which he falls short of that be almost 46 so I had to file Jointly so not to owe any taxes which if i filed as head of household would owe 1300 so I lost out on the child tax credit and etc. I wish I could of been more kinder with my wording and yes to those are right I am not in ur situation but all our situations differ but still the same so I take back my statement of clueless judgement and decompress it to having a bad day as stated earlier. I am just too young to be in this situation as is my husband and our children. SO every day I am wrestling with questions from him and this and that person. So i am sincerely sorry for hurting feelings that I did not mean too. Its hard to make lemonade out of bunch lemons that are dry kinda hard to juice em if u follow my analogy correctly.

If there is anything else I can look up for you let me know.

1 2 3