What to do with my father-in-law? My marriage is falling apart.

I'm 25, married and a mother of two. One is six, one is seven. My husband and I have been taking care of his father who is 65 and has lived with us for the past year. We moved him in with us because he was living 6 hrs away and alone, even though he has fathered 6 kids and been married 4 times. He had quintuple bipass 4 yrs ago when he lived with us before. He has also been a type one diabetic who frequently takes too much insulin, causing him to have reactions. I am the only one who takes care of him, out of some unknown guilt. But I am tired of it. He is capable of doing lots on his own- bathing, making himself food, cleaning, etc. BUT he doesn't. He doesn't bathe daily, he has reactions because he is too busy looking up political propaganda on the Internet, and I am left cleaning HIS pubic hair off the toilet in the bathroom that he and my children ONLY use. I want him out of my house. However, none of his other children want to do anything to help and my husband works in the oilfield so he's always working or tired. It has now caused fights between him and I. My father in law has nothing to his name, except a car I refuse to let him drive. This is because he has had reactions while driving, once he ran through an abandoned(thankfully) house and the vehicle is registered to my husband. We could be held legally liable. He lives off of social security which is only $1200. He wasted all his money on stupid crap and still continues too except for the $300 I charge him in rent. My husband and I have started talking divorce. I love my husband very much but this is not what I want out of life. He cannot afford assisted living, does not qualify for a home because he really isn't in horrible health minus his reactions. I hide in my room to "get away," my kids have said resentful things about our situation. I have no privacy to have any intimacy with my husband. Some one tell me what to do. I'm desperate at this point.

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
Mpking - (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) I am so happy for you. This is a great solution,.I hope it happens without much drama, and hope your husband is on board with it too.

Keep us updated - prayers for the move to go smoothly.

wow - you definitely don't live in California if the waiting list is only 4 months...haha! ;)

This is very good news indeed, Mpking. I hope this is a great boost to your marriage problems.

It will be in the same town we are moving to so that he can still come visit and such. But this way, he goes HOME. I have to submit his application and there is a 4 month waiting list. But there are also extended stay hotels until it becomes available.

Great news - sounds like the best option for all involved!

Wow! That's great. There is often a waiting list for subsidized housing, so apply immediately! Are you looking for it where you are now or where you are moving to?

We spoke. He will be moving into his own apartment in subsidized housing. It won't be an overnight thing but I am excited that I will get my home back to normal.

Mp - I hope your husband is supportive and the two of you are a united front during this conversation. For your own safety and due to the comments he has already made (whether he was kidding or not) I would definitely NOT talk to him regarding the above without your husband there with you. Good luck!

Well. At this point I am going to have a very long uncomfortable conversation with him of how there is nothing wrong so he has no excuse for the way he has been behaving. He will probably be moving into his own apartment and will not have a vehicle since his is in my name. I'll post whatever becomes of this matter. I am furious since he has ZERO excuses now for his behavior.

Mpking, so what is next? Are you looking for facilities in your next location? Is husband going to support you on this?

1 2 3 4