Can I get paid for caregiving services for a friend in their home?

17

Answers

Jackiek, it would be best to copy your question and place it as a brand new question. The thread you are on now is 7 years ago, and many of us if we see an old thread, tend to skip over it.

Just go up to the blue bar above and click on ASK A QUESTION.... then you will see a box to write your question.

I have been asked by a close friend to consider home care for her husband who was in a terrible cycle accident 2 months ago. As a result he currently does not have use of arms and legs. The care would be in personal hygiene so it would require me to take on a more professional approach than our general jovial friendship (I think)We have a close friendship with this couple, camping, meeting weekly for dinner etc. He will be coming home from the hospital soon and they both would prefer to have someone in the home that they know and trust. Am I putting myself in a vulnerable situation? My husband cautions about dual relationships and I would never want to risk our friendship. Any thoughts or advise?

flowers1, if he is getting SSI, I don't imagine he can afford to pay you.

In 32 states SSI recipients are automatically enrolled in Medicaid, or will be accepted when they apply. Medicaid does cover some in-home caregiving costs. Be aware that they do not cover 24 hour in-home care, because in most locations it is more cost-effective to place the recipient in a suitable care center. Also the pay for this job is fairly low. Would your friend be better off in a care center, with you visiting him often?

To pursue more information about being his paid caregiver, make an appointment for his Medicaid case manager to come out to his home and discuss what is available, with you and your friend.

I am taking care of a friend that is on SSI can I get paid to be his caregiver if he needs 24hr care ?

Give the person a bill.

if you already been taking care of a elderly person how can I get payed

Liblou, one way for you to get paid is for your husband to pay you. You will need to set up an employment contract saying how many hours and the cost per hour.

If your husband qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver from an Agency to come in to help a couple hours a day.
Check to see if your State has “Cash and Counseling” program that might give you some funds for Caregiving. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs. Some have waiting lists.

My husband is on home dialysis and I am his caregiver..doing treatments for 20-25 hr. Per week is there a program to help with a benefit paid for that time?

can i get paid for caregiving to my sister-in-law,she is elderly