What happens when you call adult protective services?

Asked by

I've got a situation where my mother refuses all outside or paid help and wants only family to do things for her. There are a number of things family can't do her because of the people involved and distances, and a self-neglect situation is slowly building. I'm wondering when the apparently inevitable day comes when I call APS what will happen? How much legal control can they take over my mother's life and her home? I want her to get help or be forced to accept help (she sure won't listen to me!) but I fear her being railroaded or losing more independence than necessary. Will I be starting a process that could end badly? Please share your experiences with APS good and bad, thank you!

Answers 1 to 10 of 42
I could still really use some help and input here, thank you!!! I do what I can long-distance for my mother but my hands are largely tied because she refuses just about everything. This whole situation just tears me up.
I can't believe noone has answered you on this question. It happens all the time. I've just retired and I have the same concerns for my parents as well as my next door neighbor. Don't know all the answers yet, but I'll tell you about some recent activity. I went to call on my neighbor when she stopped coming out and her car stayed in same spot on driveway for days on end. Neighbor spoke of feeling weak, hungry, tired, dizzy. The inside of her home needed more than just a cleaning, the food in the fridge was beyond safe looking, and there were problems with plumbing. Called Elder Services who sent someone and then sent local police. Police tried to convince neighbor she needed to be seen by a doctor, but she would have no part of that. Police came to my door and asked if I thought I could convince her of need for medical attention. Although we'd only met a few times, she agreed if I would guarantee her a ride home. Went with her and they decided she needed blood; more than just a little, so kept her for a day or so. During that time Police told me they were recommending she would be unsafe back in her home, and I called a brother out of state. That was over a month ago. Neighbor came home a few days later. I never saw any relatives or visitors at the house, and I haven't seen any activity that looks like cleanup of minor or major. Basically, it looks as though she gets to call the shots on how much help or care she will get herself or accept from others. Call her local Senior Center and maybe there are volunteers who could go by and establish a positive working relationship. and good luck.
is she compentent, if not you can go to court and get power of attorney, that way you call the shots, she will be mad at first but will get over it, I am power of attorney and medical power of attorney for my mom, hope this helps
If she's competent AND will sign a Durable Power of Attorney, get it done NOW!!!!! I've been in this situation!!! Otherwise APS will get an investigator to your mom & will ask her questions, etc If he/she thinks your mom needs help, they'll call you or whomever she tells them is next of kin & , well, you'll need to do something - Fairydust, this will NOT be pretty - it'll get ugly. Like I said I almost had to do that with my mom - BUT she got sick in July 2011 went to the hospital, then a "rehab center" in which she's been ever since - AND mom was also self-neglecting. HOpe this helps...
I live in Oklahoma , Mother was a recent widow and just diag. with dementia. My brother swooped in took advantage of the sitiuation. He is alcoholic, unable to work,smoked like a chimmny (Mom has empyhsema). He and his wife became squaters. He took Mom to the bank to get my Mom to get money out of her account and the bank would call me ( I did have POA). I called APS several times ,they when out and ck'd things out, my brother put on a good show. APS told me my Mom would have to end up in dire strraights before any action could be taken she would have to be ill, injured or something. I end up getting an attorney,getting gaurdinship,eviction notice - to get my brother out and restrain order to keep him away from both my and I. So POA ,guardingship and my experience Drs. don't generally want to get involve although if u have POA u can get medical records. Good luck!
If you really want to have control you would need to get a guardianship. POA's will work but they can be revoked easily by just tearing up the document and contacting banks, doctors and so by sending a letter that they have revoked POA's.
i am very saddened to know that a patient that was living with me went into a nursing home,eventhough he kept refusing the reason he was placed is because his son stated he qualified for medicaid which everone found it hard to believe because he is a retired pysician also i drove him there on a saturday that monday morning i visited him and they placed him in a dementia unit the problem is he has very mild dementia and where they placed him he cannot communicate with the others he has no phone also his son refuses to let him have any outdoor activity when i asked if i can take him out the administrater of the facility stated he didnt have a problem but his son stated he did not want him out at all its like he is being hel hostage he his still competent and does not belog in that unit i feel it is a violation of his rights and dignity what do you suggest i do any answers
Top Answer
An "anonymous" person (turned out to be my sister-in-law), called protective services for my parents. It was a godsend! They sent an investigator to their home, insisted on coming in and did an interview/inspection. He saw that my elderly mother needed help in several areas. She was the sole caregiver for my father who was a stroke survivor. They set her up with a housekeeper that came in twice a week, a bath aid for my dad (mom didn't need one) and a companion that would come in twice a week to help with errands, dr. appts., cooking, cleaning or just sitting and reminiscing. She would just take mom out shopping or movies or whatever to get her out of the house. They also set them up with meals. I cannot tell you what it meant to me (I live 250 miles away) just to know that someone was able to "put eyes on them" and make sure they were ok. If any of the helpers saw that things were not ok, they would report it to their case manager and she would get them help. They would send out a nurse or whatever the case may be. It was just such a positive experience for us. It definately enabled my parents to live independently, in their own home. Good luck to you!
The Adult Protective Services question is a good one. After they are contacted hopefully by the primary care physician, they will provide a list of service providers for either in home care or recommend placement in assisted living. My parents refused all of the above even though they both have severe cognitive impairment. It took 2 and a half years to get a Conservatorship and place each of them in a secure facility.They had to be placed in separate facilities so they would not agitate each other. This disease is the worst thing I've ever seen.
When adult protective services comes in, who is the responsible party for the elderly parent? What if out of 2 siblings, only 1 was given legal and financial control and the other had no access to obtain aid to their otherwise financially
secure parents? Both live within 30 miles of their parents and are still working with families?

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support