I am researching Medical Alert systems for my parents. What are the best systems available?

I got Phillips Lifeline for my husband and now have it for myself. Once a month it calls me to test it -other ones have you call and can be hard to get through to them-my son tested ours and it can be used outside which was good because my husband liked to be able to go in and out. The machine is good and loud and the botton on the necklace is easy to use-I have been very happy with it.
Whomever you choose, ask the following three questions:

1. Is the monitoring being done at a UL Listed monitoring center owned by the company you are getting your service from?
2. Can you cancel your service at any time, with no minimum term and no cancellation fees?
3. Are you paying a low monthly rate (around $1 per day) with no installation or shipping fees?
does medicare pay for the systems?
ADT COMPANION SERVICES seems to be one of the best on the market due to its sophisticated monitoring centers across the nation. I pay for 2 of these units and feel so much better knowing that this very established company offers this and protects my 2 family members. I didn't even know that ADT offered more than a home burglary system until I found out about this product. Very competitively priced and the installation was so personalized without the unit being drop shipped to the house for my family to figure it out. Not that it was difficult, but in a potentially life saving event, I would rather a professional install it. Just my personal experience, of course.
Check out the Freedom Alert by LogicMark. One time price (around $300)- better than paying a monthly fee of $30-$35 for most others on the market. Small pendent which is like a simple cellphone for emergencies. You can program up to four numbers (neighbors, friends, relatives) before it calls the local 911 operator. Press the number and it starts the calling- if you don't get a "live" person it moves on to the next number (or you could have it call 911 first if you want).
There's a good overview of medical alert systems on Huffington Post. It covers all the major types. Make sure you can hear & talk through the speakerphone from wherever you spend time, or else consider one of the talk through the pendant types.
Medical alerts are a low cost solution to keeping your family safe, even in non-emergency situations. Most good companies offer an economical solution including buying or renting the equipment. You also want to take into consideration if the device will need to be used in-home or on the go (such as a GPS mobile device).
The two most economical I have found is the 5 star alert system sold at Walmart and Sears. The Unit is a mini cell phone with GPS. Monthly monitoring is $15 per mo. You can use this anywhere there is Verizon service. For traditional..chaperone medical alert. Rent and monitoring 22 to 28 per no.....or buy the unit $190 and
Just pay $14 per no when you pay for a year at a time. One thing on all companies and units. Today many television are replacing copper wires With fiber optic...some now have "cable phone" With some units and companies this could be an Issue....so I would ask.
Good luck
I have been looking around for a medical alert system as well. I'm just not sure what to get. This can be so confusing. I did stumble across this website - which seems helpful enough. Any thoughts you can give me?
No matter which company you choose to go with, here are some suggestions of how to choose between them, and good questions to ask:

1. Look at several different companies before signing up.
2. Compare costs. Is this a system you could install yourself, or will you need professional installation? If so, is professional installation free? Also compare monthly fees. Would you be purchasing or leasing the equipment? Private insurance and Medicare usually do not cover these systems. In some states, Medicaid in-home care programs may cover a system if needed; for more info, check with your state Medicaid rules.
3. Do you want a contract or a contract-free service? Before signing a contract, read through it very carefully to make sure you understand all the fees and rules about cancellation.
4. Make sure the company has a 24/7 call center/customer care and technical support.
5. Ask the company how they test their system, and how often.
6. See if the company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee or a trial period, to see if you like their system.
7. Compare the different types of services. For example, do you want just a basic alert button in a pendant or wrist bracelet form? Or do you want a fall-sensing pendant, which will sense a fall and call for help in case you are unconscious? Do you want or need a medication reminder system or a medication dispersal system? Do you need it to be wireless? Does the system require a landline, cell phone, or internet connection?
8. What is the signal range? If you are out in your yard, will the button still work?
9. Ask the company reps about their procedures; what happens when someone pushes the button? Will they contact your emergency contacts first (like your neighbor or family member), or call 911? What is their protocol if they're unable to communicate with you though the speakerphone?
10. How will the emergency responders get in? Will the company provide a lock box for your house key? Will they give the emergency responders the code to the lock box so they don't have to break down your door to get to you?