Anyone done bath renovations for seniors?

hi all - my father had a fall and fractured his hip last August. the day before his fall he had a ct scan. the ct scan came back "suspicious" for colon cancer. He was too sick for a colonoscopy. he just got it done and of course it came back positive. we are aiming for a surgery date of mid December. However. he just was diagnosed with " c. diff" which of course will delay the surgery. he also has exhausted his rehabilitation benefits which means he is coming home next week (regardless of whether or not he we are ready.)
my question is - my house is multilevel so there are steps here and there. we have a bathroom near the study that Dad can (and has) used in the past. the bathroom is tiny and we were wondering about converting it into a step in bath for the elderly. I think this is a great idea as it will benefit my dad AND my mom. has anyone had this done and any tips/tricks to advise? thanks!

That's interesting! as just today I had my bathtub modified so I can step in, not over the side. Have 2 replaced knees, 1 replaced hip + a recent broken hip...This is an option that is offered by Home Depot called Safeway Safety Step, does not require any other bathroom remodeing as it is only the tub itself that is modified... The company has its own website so you can see if it is a fix for your situation... Gooood Luck!
That sounds like a good idea for your parents. Such tubs cost between $5,000-$7,500 including installation. But if you are having an old tub removed, it could damage the floor tile and the tile around the old tub, thus those items would need to be replaced at an extra cost, unless it is included in the price.

I see from your profile that your parents live in their own home. Will your parents be willing to do that remodeling? Instead of a step-in tub, what about a walk in shower that has a built in seat? Then that way when in the future it is time to sell their home, you wouldn't need to convert the bath back into a regular bathroom. With a step-in tub, you might have to convert back to sell the house. Something to think about.
id just build a shower big enough to accomodate a wheelchair . i actually done this upstairs in my house . from what ive learned about c - diff , the wheelchair might need the occasional shower too .. a stick built shower can be built as cheaply as the cheapest ceramic tile on clearance at lowes -- bout 70 cents per sq ft .
I am having Mom's tub converted to a step in at a very low cost - $800 - there is a company locally that will cut the side of the tub down and leave a 20" wide opening with a 4" lip (so 4" from the floor) and finish it so it looks like it was made that way.

We have a VERY tiny bathroom - it is literally only as wide as the length of the tub, and the tub is not average length. So when you walk in, you are facing the tub, and the sink and toilet are across from each other just ahead of the tub - you have to turn sideways to walk between the sink and toilet to get to the tub. I've seen closets bigger than this bathroom!
No he won't be a good candidate for coming home. He will need a Nursing Home with 24/7 care. Possibly Hospice as well. Do what is best for him. That means a place with no stairs and lots of professional help. Please.
The converted tubs sound very interesting. I don't think they've been available long.

My husband could get into our shower just fine, but he missed taking baths and when he saw an ad for a walk-in tub he asked me about getting one. I looked into it and that is what I did. Yes, it was expensive. It did involve some new tile around the tub but that was included in the installation estimate. He truly did enjoy it. The seat height made it easy for me or an aide to help him bathe. He was able to take the small step into the tub -- someone unable to bear weight on their feet could not.

I had a light installed about the tub and I love to sit in bubbles and read. We got air jets and it is great. (I once had a jucuzzi and didn't like it nearly as well. The regular chair height bench is great.) My son and daughter love it for showering, too.

I am delighted with my walk-in tub, but it is not for everyone.

Would this be the only tub in your home, or is there one upstairs?

I am very sorry for all the frustrations and delays in your father's treatment.
ever try to rinse your beard under a tub spigot ? its like waterboarding torture only with detergent ..
not for everyone, indeed ..
Captain, if I had a beard I'd rinse it just as I do my hair, comfortably seated and holding the shower head. My son, who has a lovely beard, prefers to stand for his showers and removes the hose/shower head wand to rinse his beard gently. We definitely don't go in for torture at my house!
I'm curious, how easy are the walk-in tubs for cleaning? Back when I was a residential Realtor, anytime we would list houses that had a Jacuzzi or whirlpool tub, I would ask how did they like using it as I never had one.... 9 times out of 10 the answer was *used once or twice*, then I would hear how much time it took to clean.

I am thinking of trying car wax on our shower walls to see if that would help in cleaning.
I used to think the walk in tubs sounded wonderful, but the someone pointed out that you would have to sit in the tub until all the water drained away before you could open the door and get out. Not a problem for some, but it did make me re think my bathroom reno. I put in a full sized shower. I did not go curbless so it is not completely accessible, but I now wish I had. I also had the door widened to accommodate a wheelchair. No built in seat, as I think they are not really practical, and a friend of mine found hers to be slippery. If you really NEED the seat, you are better off with an adjustable shower chair. And don't forget the grab bars.