What assistance is there for a parent, who owns home, but can't live alone, and only SS?

Asked by

So lost. Mother lived with us for 4 years and I have taken care of her and dad for years. But she got nasty and I got tired, she moved home and sisters family moved in. That is not working (sister is bi-polar, boy is it not working)...and Mom is just wanting attention all the time like a child. Cant do it. Brother is taking for for short term, but doesn't have space or time, or cost. Mom owns home, can that be given to a nursing home or something for her to have a place to stay?

Answers 1 to 3 of 3
Apply for Medicaid.

There are two great articles written by AgingCare.com editor’s that were already posted in our community. We thought this might answer your caregiving question.

“10 Government Programs You Can Access for Your Elderly Parents.”


“How Can I Get Paid for taking Care of My Elderly Parents?”

We hope this helps. Please let us know if you need anything else and we look forward to seeing more questions and discussions from you.
Not sure where you live, but in most cases you can find a good elder attorney. It might cost you a consultation fee, but they can certainly guide you as to what government services your mom might be entitled to, and help you set up her financial situation.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support