What do young 74-year-olds do? Senior activities are very boring.

Read More
16

Answers

not sure how to answer all your suggestions. Maybe this is the correct way. First I do have great grandaughters that I am very involved and a mother that requires my attentions and a disabled daughter. While all of your suggestions are good, I am tired of takeing care of others and their needs. I need some time away from being responsible. I cared for my husband for 12 years before he passed away 4 yrs ago. So you see I feel like there should be some time for just me. I live in a small community and there is nothing going on here. I guess I am feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for letting me vent. I live alone and there is no one toreally talk to. Even church is boring. Same old stuff. Where is the excitement in being ederly

There's no reason for anyone to decide that they're "old" arbitrarily and stop doing whatever they love to do if they can still do it! My neighbor died yesterday at the age of 104. She lived alone, successfully, vibrantly, actively, without help, until she was 102. For someone in their seventies, that would represent THIRTY more years -- as many more years as the time that has passed since you were in your early forties. It ain't over if you don't say it's over.

Hi eva - I am a young 74 year old, and am the same as jack, I keep on doing what I have been doing or even try new or old things. I went tenting a few years ago - something I haven't done in years. Loved it! I know someone with horses, and i want to ride again - more than 50 years since the last time. I want to go fishing again. I love being on the water. I want to take a boat ride up a local river, and that is on the books now. Get to know some more people, as Carol mentioned, it broadens your opportunities. I have a sig other after 15 years on my own and the things I mention are things I will do with him. I do things with my grandkids. If you don;t have grandkids, many schools have programs you could join to contribute - and make new friends You never know what will happen, New girlfriends will open up opportunities - not just face to face but online friends too. I have a few online friends I have been communicating with for years now and we do want to meet one day, Volunteering opens up new interests, and opportunities to make new friends. Take a course or join a group, I don't have enough energy to do it all, but I am never bored.
Good luck

I just continue doing the activities that I always enjoyed in spite of the fact that I'm not as quick nor have the stamina that I once had. I am surprised how many seniors my own age are doing the same.

My mom is the same age, and has many physical issues that make it difficult to do much, but she does find some things she likes to do. One of them is teaching a seated exercise class in her building. She really makes it fun, and they all enjoy it -- especially when they lob a balloon back and forth and amongst themselves. Think about what you like and have to offer, and then maybe volunteering in that area, like Carol suggested, would be good. Wishing you the best.

Try volunteering through the Retired Senior Volunteer Program. You'll meet many other active seniors, help people who aren't so fortunate, and likely find people to enjoy social activities with. Senior Corps can be found on the Internet if you don't have an RSVP chapter in your city.
Many other organizations are begging for volunteers, as well. There's no better way to meet active seniors.
Take care and good luck,