Will Medicare or Medicaid pay for someone to come to my elderly parent's house a few days a week for a few hours to cook & clean?

Asked by
Answers 1 to 9 of 9
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
Medicaid has some allowance for that and some "mixed" Medicare/Medicaid programs do. You'll have to go through your Social Services or state aging services (found on your state's Web site) for more local information.

Good luck,
Does anyone know the laws on taking care of my grandmother in va. I just recently lost my job and she needs a lot of care with meds and bathing and general day to day living. Now that I have the time can I do it and get paid.
can I hire my kids to do housekeeping and lawn care and have medicare pay for it
Can i get help with housekeeping on diasability and medicare
Djt, sorry Medicare does not pay for housekeeping. You would need to check with Medicaid [which is different from Medicare] to see if your State offers such a program, and to see if you qualify for the program.
I live in Indiana and currently unable to work because I must care for my partner fulltime, hebecame very ill in April 2011 and came very close to death. He is currently going thru Liver transplant evaluation once this is completed he will hopefully go on the transplant list. His doctors will not allow him to work, drive, and is basically disabled due to this illness. I spend most of my day tending to his needs, he can not be alone so basically he is my fulltime job and I am unable to work outside the home. I was told there were programs that would pay me for taking care of him. Is this true and if so what organization do I contact. Thank you in advance for your help. Mamie
Usually family members can get paid for tasks that they are eligible to receive and the family member is qualified to give. If the loved one is approved for physical therapy and the family member is not a physical therapist, they won't be paid for that. But things like help with daily living, cooking, cleaning, that kind of thing can usually be done by family members for pay. Someones they must take some training.

Medicaid is one program that does this. There may be more available locally.

One place to start is by calling the state agency on aging. Another is to call Social Services for a needs assessment.
My mother in law is 91. She has dementia but early stage. We want to hire someone to come in the morning, help her get her pills, breakfast and get dressed. Also, they would help clean, and then return in the evening to make sure she has an evening meal. My question can we get help paying this person and if so how?
That’s a very common question asking about being paid. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver allowing you to keep a full-time job.

If you live in the States, see If your parent qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver come in to help for a couple hours. Also check to see if your State is one of those States that has a “Cash and Counseling” program to help you out, it‘s worth looking into. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs.

Also contact your county agency on aging for programs such as Case Management, Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Care, housing, care referrals, etc,... go to the website link below.... click on your State.... now click on the city/county. https://www.agingcare.com/local/Area-Agency-on-Aging

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support