What is the minimum amount of assets to qualify for medicaid?

28

Answers

1 2 3
I have medicare and medicaid...my sister has asked me to cosign with her so she can refinance her home..if I do, will that count against me because it will show I am on the mortgage with her?

thanks, will do that

Loribob02...Medicare or Medicaid? You're mixing them up. For Medicare, call the Social Security office, 1-800772-1213. There's no application process.
For Medicaid, contact a state agency or a social worker where your relative is now. That insurance foes have qualifications.

thanks, this is great info. I will call medicare and get the paperwork going..

If a nursing home is involved, the social worker can give you a Medicaid packet. Don't let the amount of papers scare you. There will be a checklist of things to include and copies you will need of financial records (bank accts. etc ). Just take your time and go down the list one item at a time. Mark off each one as you complete it. I had never done anything like this, when I did the paperwork for a friend. I was able to complete all of it in 2 weeks. Breaking it down , one item at a time , was the easiest way for me. I also wrote down names and numbers of anyone, who could answer a question about any item on the list. If need be, you could go on line and ask Medicare , for the packet. Hope this helps you loribob02

is there an 800 number t call to get the paperwork started..what is the limit of $$$ in assets for Rhode Island

Carmine - Medicaid allows for a house & a car to be a exempt asset for Medicaid in addition to 2K in $ assets.

But what ends up being an issue for those who go onto Medicaid & have a house or a car and are now in a NH or other facility is that Medicaid requires them to do a monthly co-pay of their income to the NH. The co-pay is ALL their monthly income less whatever your state has as it's personal needs allowance. The allowance is small - from $ 35.00 - 90.00 depending on your state. It is just enough to pay for their hair salon or barber shop @ the NH, clothing replacement, phone or cable or other NH costs not paid by Medicaid. There will be no $ to pay for anything on the car or the house (taxes, insurance, gas) so somebody from the family will have to pay for all that for as long as the Medicaid person is alive. Cars usually get sold - unless there is a spouse still living at home and driving the car - with the $ from the sale to go towards a spend-down. You have to do the spend down too as the auto sale or transfer is recorded by the state and Medicaid will find out the asset has changed ownership.

No, $2,000 in any given month. Say the checking acct went to $2500.00 for more than one month then that could mean a period of being ineligible.

can a person that owns a car apply for medicaid

Update: My mother is finally on medicaid and they made it retroactive through September 2011. She was accepted in October, I believe. In any case, they made it retroactive through September 2011. My next step(s) has been to notify everyone and get them to file for payment by medicaid and then to send reimbursements to my mother. Not everyone accepts medicaid, including her primary care physician. *sigh*

1 2 3