My mom is refusing physical therapy in her rehab center due to pain. What can we do?

My 81 year old mom fell off her bike 2 weeks ago. She broke her pelvis in 2 places in addition to her elbow. After surgery on the elbow, she was moved to rehab center. After 2 rounds of PT, she was in severe pain. She now refuses PT because of the pain, is on heavy pain meds, and has been given more exrays. She has not seen one exray. The doctor managing the case hasn't given us any answers but says they may need to move her to another facility i.e. nursing home, if she doesn't progress. The insurance may run out as well. Two weeks ago Mom was a vibrant active individual living on her own. Now she's depressed, in pain, and is bedridden. Only one sibling lives nearby. The other 3 live out of state. Besides this physical disability, my mom functions cognitively and is sharp as a tack. What can we do? What options do we have if mom can't have PT or refuses PT due to her pain?

21

Answers

1 2 3
Freefalling, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Reading this thread I see a theme on our elderly parents, mostly mothers. My mom was not taking care of her diabetes which landed her in the ER with a sugar level of over 500. While there they found out she had appendicitis. Then she got blood clots in her lungs. After 3 weeks (and the hospital was pretty crappy on top of all this) she was discharged. She has EXTREME lethargy and I think she's depressed. I lost my older sister last year so now it's just me with all this stress. She can't walk without a walker and assistance.

We live in a building and my aunt is on the first floor. She went into her place in her spare bedroom because it was the closer than getting to her place. She doesn't want to do anything but lay in bed. She eats only bites of food. I think mentally she has given up. I feel like she thinks she will just live in her sisters spare room forever. I'm hoping to get her into a SNF using Medicare. I'm so stressed. I KNOW without intervention she will become bedbound and just die. She is satisfied just laying in bed 24/7 and letting me clean her. I'm also not working and can't even think about job searching with all this. It's all on me. I'm scared she will refuse PT because she doesn't even want to sit up against pillows let alone stand. She wants to eat, drink, talk, watch tv all while laying down. I think she will lose what little mobility she has if she doesn't get into rehab fast. The hospital has set up home PT and she are moving at a snails pace. I'm happy she can still stand and move with a walker and think with PT she can become more mobile. I think she wants to get back to her old self but doesn't want to do the work to get it. She was lazy before, now it's 1,000 times worse. She's 74 and was able bodied before the hospital. This is terrible and so stressful.

My mother had a knee replacement three years ago at the age of 70. She refused the PT and ended up immobile in a wheelchair. She developed diabetes and various ongoing infections as a result of being immobile. She passed away July 4 at the age of 73 of septic shock. She was in excellent health before the knee replacement.

Teresa, is your mom in rehab? Has her hip been repaired by surgery?

my mom is withering away after she broke her hip. I don't think she will be coming home. What can I do to motivate her?

Medicare will not pay for inpatient rehab services if the patient is not progressing or refusing pt. Is that what you're asking?

Can a SNF refuse the care of a patient if he refuses PT?

My mother fell broke her hip, had surgery and has been in a physical rehab center for a couple of months. Her medicare is about to run out and we would like her to stay at the rehab center for a few more weeks. Can we pay the rehab center ourselves? my mother has the money to cover it.

Do EVERYTHING you can to help your Mom or she will become bedbound, immobile and die. I know because my mom was this way. She broke her hip in 2004, has had another hip replacement, a spinal fusion and back surgery. Now she cant even sit up and continually gets infections, the last one nearly cost her her life. I am going to try faucet joint injections to block the nerve signals of pain that go to the brain so she can hopefully tolerate some physical therapy. I also googled what to do when physical therapy is too painful and found out about a different type of therapy called myofascial therapy.I am in the process of setting all of this up. I pray it works, or she will die.

I have answered many pain related problems with the same answer to use "Anodyne Therapy". ( Infrared Light Therapy.) It works. She will have less pain when they use this device so she can rehab faster as a result of having diminished pain. Some rehab centers have this device or one like it. Perhaps it is in their closet not being used. Get them to use it. One story I have of a therapy group not willing to use it (Anodyne) but were challenged by the Dr's written order to use it and finally did. Had they used it 3 weeks sooner the patient would have shown evidence to have regained 90% use of a flaccid arm post CVA (stroke). Again... This works.... look on PubMed.org (Medical publication Gov.. site) and look up the topic "nitric oxide".This is the most written subject with interesting outcomes to boot.. Anodyne Therapy helps generate nitric oxide in the blood. THis is the science behind this device. Go for it.

I assume that either you or your sister have medical POA for your mother? It sounds to me like you need an elder lawyer to resolve this situation and possibly file a complaint if necessary along with find another nursing home for your mother if you can. I'm sorry that your mom is willing to work on getting back to walking but the PT are not. My mother has the opposite problem of not being willing to work with PT, but the PT people are willing and have tried to work with her. Let us know how this turn out.

1 2 3