mikkimcgee Asked August 2011

How do you transfer hospice care from one state to another state?

My 83 year old mother with terminal colon cancer is under Treasure Coast Hospice Care in Port St. Lucie, FL. She wants to come live with me in Greenwood, Arkansas. I have been going back and forth caring for my mother and it would be best for my mother and my husband and I if she were to come live with us. We're in our 60's and, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had many weeks of radiation therapy. I am getting very tired traveling to Florida, staying for a month at a time caring for my mother. It is my mother's wish she passes on under my care and since I am an only child, it is my responsibility to care for her until her last breath. Please provide me with all necessary information on how to transfer Hospice Care Services for my mother from that of Florida to here near my home. We were also told my mother can only see Hospice physician and not to call 911 or go to the hospital since Medicare will not accept the change. My mother's only income is Social Security for $875.00 per month after Medicare payment is taken out.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance in this urgent matter.

20

Answers

My 90 yrs old aunt is under Hospice care, she is confined to a bed,she is in NY and wants to go live in Ohio,since that is the only niece that can take care of her. Is there any service out there that can transport her?

Veronica91 Mar 2015
You can only be in one hospice at a time so to move you will be discharged from one and admitted to the new one on arrival. During your journey you would use any other insurance you have probably Medicare or Medicaid. You would not be in hospice on the journey so could get needed medical care through your regular insurance.
As Jeannie said no one is going to pay for the transport of a dying patient anywhere. Flying can be difficult and dangerous, a long car ride is totally exhausting when you consider the nursing care needed on the way. One option is to rent a camper which will give you all the facilities you need for care rest and feeding along the way. Many Walmarts allow you to stay overnight free of charge in their parking lot.
Having your loved one die on the journey need not be anymore of a hassle than say having a heart attack and dying on vacation. It will be expensive but other than that you call 911 and the police and ambulace will come and transport the patient to the nearest ER where they will be pronounced dead and any other necessary formalities. A local funeral home of your choice will be called or even the one in your own home town to transport the body to the desired location. Expensive of course and you will be paying for everything. Another option is to have the body cremated at the place of death and the ashes can be sent home or you can collect them. This is probably the cheapest option if cremation was planned anyway. A memoral service can be arranged at a later date. this is not an easy subject to adress but if you plan ahead for any being prepared will make this process less devastating. As jeannie also said in NYS hospices are licensed by medicare to cover a certain geographic are usually one county although some do overlap and try to "Poach" patients in bordering counties. So if you live in county A but have a summer camp in County B you do have to change hospices while you are away from your usual residence. A few days to a week are usually just ignored especially if the patient is relatively healthy at this time. pre planning is the key to all this and your hospice is the place to start. Arranging for the new hospice to be available on arrival will ease things alone especially if you arrange on a weekday.

ljr11268 Mar 2015
My mother is in a hospital in vegas and they told me that she is gonna need long term hospice care.I want her home with me in florida .i know she rather be with her family then there and the traveling back and forth is costly,especially sine i am a single mom.my question is how can i transfer her to florida safely from vegas.and i just found out she has medicare part a and b.

pamstegma Oct 2014
Sampson, you pay for it. Totally on your own. Hospice does not move dying people anywhere.

what kind of answer is that that "miki" gave. That is not helpful at all and not even relevant to the question and basically stupid!!!!!

it sounds like she is eligible to sign up for QMB which would pay the $105/mo for m'care part B. That would at least give a little extra money and she should be eligible for the possibility of a medicaid waiver. check out with hospice social worker!

someone please respond to how it is paid for one hospice patient to be transported from one state to a cross country state--not able to fly commercially. Will medicare cover cost or will secondary insurance cover some cost??? Thanks for any info

pamstegma Sep 2014
SueRahn, we could not even leave the county on Hospice. Here in NY Hospice is run county-by-county. Transport alone can kill him, and if you end up in a highway rest stop with a dead body, the cops won't be happy.
We took our daughter to OBX for a week will full knowledge that we were waaay outside the care zone and totally on our own for a week. She died 36 hours after our return. You may not be so lucky, and you better have nerves of steel to attempt this.

suerahn Sep 2014
If my relative lives in MN and is planning on going to AZ for the winter, can he be in hospice in both places. Thank you, Sue

pamstegma Mar 2014
mikki, her wish to live with you may not be a desire to physically move but an unrealistic idea that if she is at your house, everything will be all right. It's important that you consider and accept the reality that she is in denial of. She wants to "get away from Hospice" and no one can give her that. Travel will be difficult and risky, paperwork will be even worse. Let her be, encourage her to make her peace and not try to run from it.