Is there such a thing as a Toilet Bowl Strainer?

Mom MOM is going to kill our septic system!!! As funny as this posting sounds, I'm dead serious. I need something to strain the mounds of toilet paper she insists on using. She dosen't want me in the bathroom with her at all so I can't monitor her usage and We've already resorted to giving her 1-ply tissuein an effort to keep it from clogging up.

Any ideas???? Or should I start seeing a Septic man on the side?

Shar

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
I saw a toilet on a how-to show one time that I want to get. It's kinda spendy, like $500.00 but it supposed to be un-cloggable and able to flush a Chihuahua. It's made by Toto I think. I get so tired of my husband clogging up ours.

I am on the search for just such and item. If I find one I will post again. But, if none is found I shall go invent one! This would be helpful for all toilets to prevent anything unwanted for a trip to regions beyond. I work with the elderly but also know this is not just an aging issue. Kids and their cats or toys, women and their jewelry, etc. all manage to hit the bowl just at the wrong time. And yes do keep smiling.

Shar, I had to resort to issueing tissue to mom. I would give her a total of 8 squares. I was near if she yelled for more but it did work. Biodegradable kleenex work well too. I issued what she needed when she went. She was angry at first but when you sit and visit john and there is no roll to the right...the paper in hand is very useful and help put an end to your plight. While some may call it controlling I call it prevention of a much larger issue...the Septic Surgery...which is expensive and I paid for. HTH... love your sense of humor. On another note there are porta potties that sit over the john but have a bucket under the seat...may work.... beats dipping....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I encouraged mom to use the john but we did work out the issuing of the TP.....
Pat

Well, now I know where to come for my smile for the day!!
We had this problem with my aunt who has a form of alzheimers when I was caring for my uncle (her husband) when he had lung cancer.

We placed a special wastebasket by the toilet with a big sign that said,
"The toilet is broken, please put ALL toilet paper in the waste basket. It was easier to keep emptying the waste basket 2-3 times a day than cleaning up the mess of a stopped up toilet. Plus, everytime we saw her going to the bathroom, we would remind her to put her paper in the basket. We also provided a small amount of the single roll just for her..

Today she lives in a nice ALF and they tell me she still puts her paper in the basket!

Good luck.

I got tired of snakeing out the toilet EVERY day so we got a high flush tiolet when my husband fell into the back of it and cracked it and then cut his arm checking how bad it was broken so he had to use the commode for a while. Also put the tissue in a separate container or you could tell her you are going to get an outhouse for the yard I had one at home until we got running water in the house-washing dishes was fun first going out to the hand pump then heating the water to do the dishes also bathing was fun getting the big tub inside the kitchen and again heating the water etc then empting the tub and taking it back outside. We sure get to talk about varied subjects on this site don't we.

There is an incinerating toilet electrical or propane that works. I used one as a kid in camp many years ago.

For those who are leaving a trail' (I'm sure you have thought of this) Did you install sheet linoleum flooring for easy cleanup?
anyway, hope this helps.

OK... I REALLY got a chuckle from all the responses on this subject, thanks everyone!

My suggestion is probably too 'simply' but since SIMPLIFY is my only mantra... perhaps it will work!

What about a CAMPING TOILET? I know this may seem far fetched.... but put a baby safety 'clip' on the REGULAR toilet and set the camping toilet up in the bathroom for her to use. Instead of having to 'fish' wet (yuk) toilet paper from your existing toilet, you can just remove the bottom unit, and flush a bit at a time.

You can use GOOGLE to search for the model I found online for about $65.00! I am sure there are many other models too.

Thetford Porta Potti/Potty 135 Portable Toilet RV Camper

I would also get some of the bio-degradeable toilet paper for her to use too. And I would ALSO limit the amount of paper available at any time. Just put it out of reach, or add a safety clip for the vanity door so she is limited to what she can access.

I hope this helps.

Angela and Mia Madre (my Mother)

I'm sure Medicare would cover it just the same as they cover the added plumbing expenses! Seriously, I still think it would be a worthy investment. I saw one, a self contained unit, no plumbing necessary at Home Depot for $1,100. I just need to sell a spare kidney on ebay before I can buy it :o)

I'm looking into a COMPOST Toilet. That way anything that goes in won't go to WASTE!!! HA HA LOL Do ya think Medi-Care will cover it???

"We're gonna give it the old geriatric try." Classic! I am so going to use this line.

I must admit, Grandma is a one square kind of gal, AND she insists her pads can be recycled once they have time to dry out! Eeeww!!! She regularly leaves a trail on the floor as she make her way to the toilet, and her every BM seems to have some sort of jet propulsion when it makes its way to the exit point. I get so tired of cleaning the toilet, walls and floor. Really, I just cannot comprehend how with all the issues listed above she still manages to clog the toilet.

I hope and pray God has a special place for all us good souls who tend to the toilets used by our elderly loved ones!

1 2 3 4