What can I do if my sister and her children are stealing from my elderly mother?

My sister and her daughter (son too I think) have been stealing from my mother for years. She allowed it to happen because she "didn't want to get them in trouble" Now she is elderly, living on social security and they are still doing it. My brother's and I are trying to put a stop to it, but mom still doesn't want to get them in trouble. They most recently took the money (600.00) she has been saving to pay her taxes. We gave them a deadline of August 3 to pay it back, they gave her some of it and asked for more time. We want her to report it but their latest dirty trick is to tell mom that my sister has brain cancer (she gets cancer every time she is in trouble and my mother believes her every time). Anyway, we are at the end of our rope and not sure who to call for help! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
Adult Protective Services will do NOTHING if they find an adult to be competent, and no one will do a dang thing if she is being manipulated through lies and ends up giving all her money away. They all say it's her choice.

I'm very sorry this has happened. My sister does the same thing.

This sounds very familiar. I have a sister who gave me the feeling that she'd been stealing from our mom over an extended period of time. She wanted full control of our mom's assets despite me witnessing her yelling louder than a group of angry people at my mom because my mom frustrated her. Sis tried to "manage" mom's care by leaving her at home where she wanted to be but this came at a price. Found out too late that she'd drained various bank accounts and our mom's monthly income and there wasn't anything left. Do not let this happen to your parents! Speak to them when they are reasonably healthy, speak to them when they seem as if they don't NEED help! There may be arguments because that's how parents with adult children often are, but arguments until you all can settle the dust and name TRUSTWORTHY folks for the various aspects of care (AND have checks and balances in place) will be far less painful than finding your parents have been exploited...by so called loved ones!

how do you stop my sister that is POA from stealing a lot of money every month from my mother

what if POA is stealing from the mother that has dimentha

Carolrose, it's hard to say. It is almost always better to have a separate account for the Social Security checks, and a formal caregiver/rent agreement in place so that all the expenses from that person's check are clearly for their care and benefit.

It sounds like Sis is short of funds and does not want to admit it. Are you sure there are no life insurance policies that will help cover it?

Can a poa be changed without all parties aware

LynnPo's response is partially correct. Having a POA gives you certain rights, but not all. You can't file charges on their behalf since you are not the victim.

She is also very incorrect in advising you to follow what she did, i.e., moving her nephews things out of the house and changing the locks. That is illegal and can get you arrested. If you are evicting someone, you must go through the courts and do it with court orders or you are opening yourself up for arrest. Your nephew has rights.

Why was he living with grandma? Was he caring for her? We're not getting the whole story. Once again, don't move anyone's things out of the house or you subject yourself for arrest.

If you want to move your grandmother out while you are evicting him, that's fine and legal, providing that grandma wants to go with you. A restraining order is NOT an eviction order which can only be posted by a clerk of the court or a Sheriff's deputy.

It's okay to take the bull by the horns but don't do it illegally.

I am currently going through this with my brother, who, while she's been in the hospital for two months, he has used her deibit card to cash checks at the grocery store. Thanks for the informaion! My Mom is still in the rehab facility, and we're trying to get this straightened up before she goes out.

Grandmother is 99 years old. There are only two of us Grandchildren. Me 55 and Sister 53. Younger sister has Power of Attorney somehow. Grandmother says she never signed papers for anything. Grandmother was moved form Texas. Now in Rest home in San Diego County. My younger sister put a restraining order on me so I could not see, talk or be near her or Grandmother for 2 Years. So she does not have to talk to me or be held acccountable for any wrong doings. 99 Year Old Grandmother is beside herself with grief. I do talk to her on the phone and she says she is very nervous and very upset that she does not get mail, there is no checks and balances, so sister is blocking me from any information pertaining to her estate . Grandmother asked me to find out what she is doing? She has money scattered everywhere she sais and she realizes my sister and Stepfather took my Mothers Estate and will do it again. Yes, I trusted sister with Mothers Estate and was given nothing. Now I am in the same predicament with 99 Year Old Grandmother. I always felt that if I asked private matters financially that was rude, Now i find my Granmother has been waiting for many years for me to ask. I asked her today what should I do and she told me: " she trust me and please help her find out what my younger sister is doing concerning her estate". Grandmother is in a senior manor down the street from sister and her accountant husband who by the way told me:" he would be investing Grandmothers money"," she didn't know what she was doing".Well she has done very well from what she told me. What can I do? I am poor while sister drives a mercedes and ownes many homes and on and on.Can anyone help me?

1 2 3 4