1929care Asked July 2012

VA: Should Social Security Income be signed over to Long Term nursing?

Mother is in long term care nursing home. If her Medicaid is approved, should she sign over her social security check to the nursing home. Are there drawbacks to this? She is currently paying her Medicare part D and BC/BS premiums with this, her only income.

22

Answers

1 3
igloo572 Dec 9, 2017
Pinky - Day 1 of NH admission requires resident on Medicaid or Medicaid Pending to do a copay or SOC (share of cost) of their monthly income. Amount can be prorated if coming in during the month.

Once in a facility and Medicaid involved, realistically they have no more $$$. The only $ ever again from day 1 on is whatever your state has as their personal needs allowance. PNAs vary by state from $ 35 to $115.

If they have debts (mortgage, rent, CCs, life insurance premiums, etc.) either they default or family pays their debts. Some states do allow for a waiver or diversion of monthly income to pay mortgage if property is on market with Realtor listing (so no FSBO nonsense) but waiver has to be applied for. If there’s a community spouse, they need to apply for a diversion of income as well to become thier resource allowance.

Pinkypat0623 Dec 9, 2017
How soon after after entering a nursing home do they start to take your social security check?

debdaughter May 2016
1st, an update on my situation; was a court date, the daughter who had the checkbook but only had mom write the one check to pay her bill got cleared, the other one has a year to make restitution, so we'll see how that goes; meanwhile granma's getting to stay in the nursing home and still having medical issues, such as she just had a colonoscopy to try to investigate more her incontinence issues, so see how all that goes as well

now, Anderson, prepaid final expenses can be included in spend down of their funds without being counted against them, so I'd say, yes, that money could be used to buy their cremation, something I've been trying to get hub's aunt and uncle to do because otherwise their funds would count against them but it's not Medicare that picks up the balance; it's Medicaid, which I really think you meant because it's the one that has the asset limitation to qualify, which is why I think you were asking about using their money to buy the cremation in the first place and no way would Social Security cover the cost anyway but I hope I'm not just adding to the confusion since you say you've gotten many different answers. But, yes, the social worker at the facility you're considering is you should be contacting or are you talking about the different social worker, like with Medicaid? or possibly an elder law attorney might be good as well

My mother and father are not able to take care of themselves and we cant afford 24 hour home care. We are considering a nursing home for both they have only SS and a savings account of 8000.00 no other assets. My question is can we take the 8000 and buy the cremation for both of them? Next question is does medicare pick up the balance for them if their SS does not cover cost. I have gotten many different answers? Last question who is the best person to contact about all of this, social worker? nursing home? attorney?

debdaughter Jan 2016
SNT - thank you for clearing that up; not sure realized nh could apply directly to SS for check to be sent to them; maybe different ones do things differently but dil's grandmother was sent to nh for rehab, medicare paying for, but while in there 2 of her daughters were going - the one having her checkbook - and having her sign checks made out to both of them at different times but at least to one daughter with no amount - she would fill it in later - to the tune of hundreds of dollars - approximately half of her SS check - so when rehab time ended and she was not ready to come home, so staying going on Medicaid, of course they began to look into her finances and found these check disbursements so social worker at nh? is the one who turned them in and they've both been arrested and charged - assuming they've done the 5 yr. lookback, say there's $7K missing so now there are issues regarding her being able to stay in nh - anybody know what could happen?

Rainmom Jan 2016
How exactly do you think the cost of having a loved one in a nursing home is paid when the person is on Medicaid? Sorry if I sound harsh here but this topic just kills me! When someone has money almost every last penny has to be paid from their own money for nursing home cost before they become eligible for Mediacaid assistance - while the people who were unwilling or unable to save for their old age nursing home care is eligible from the start - to be completely honest it isn't the fairest deal in my opinion. My parents were extremely frugal all their lives to save for "retirement" and now mom is blowing through all her hard earned money and savings to pay her NH bills. Mean while her SIL - who lived a more exciting, adventure filled life - spending and traveling without a thought of saving a dime for retirement has had her NH bill paid through Medicaid from the start. And for quite a while they lived in the same facility so it was not a question of perks or sacrifices that made any difference in the level of care they received. But I get it and if this is the price society pays so everyone receives care - which I believe everyone deserves, well - I accept that. But it irks the heck out of me to hear the recipients of this societal arrangement complain that it's not fair. In actuality the average social security check does not cover the actual cost of someone recieving nursing home care via Medicaid.

manuel745 Jan 2016
If you are Dual eligible have medicaid and medicare have a medicare number ending with a letter C have survivors benefits are a QMB have the status of DAC disabled adult child or other wise known as "CDB" child disability benefits you might not have to turn over your check I am almost 100 percent sure also, certain widows with same category.

debdaughter Dec 2015
oh, we're way past the point of that; a friend is or was coming over and doing her hair; that is, until she fell and busted her head - I am concerned that guardianship may be where we're at, but that wouldn't be for me to do so I'm getting concerned about the whole situation now

pamstegma Dec 2015
debdaughter, too many wives think that weekly trips to the beauty salon are bare necessities. They are in for a rude awakening. In fact, they may even need Guardianship.

debdaughter Dec 2015
but if she's like my hub's aunt, she'd say that wouldn't be enough, that it takes everything they both draw now to cover everything but then in their case we're back to that credit card thing

1 3