Is there any assistance I can get to help my dad pay his rent in a mobile home park?

Asked by

Does anyone know of any kind of assistance I can get my dad to help pay his rent in a mobile home park in NJ. He owns the trailer, but pays rent for living in the mobile home park. His SS is $1,125, his rent is $500. He has been living on saviings which will be gone in a few months. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Answers 1 to 3 of 3
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
I would look for elder assistance through your state's Web site - generally under Aging Services. There should be some contact information to use as a starting point. It sound like, if he's not already, he should be on Medicaid. Good luck.
Expert Answer
395 helpful answers
As Carol suggested, the best place to start would be you local county Area Agency on Aging. They are a clearinghouse for resources and may be of great help in matching your dad with services available at the state, county, and even city level.

Is your father a veteran? If so look on this site or do a search for a benefit called "non-service connected basic pension". This may provide him with thousands of tax-free dollars per year.

Medicaid may also be a good possibility as all of his medical would be paid for (including his Part B premium of $96/m) freeing up money to be spent otherwise.

Rent, utility, food, and transportation assistance should all be available to him if he qualifies.
Would he consider a roommate?
Good luck.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support