What is Obama doing for caregivers?

34

Answers

1 2 3 4
MichiganHopeful, if you are still around reading this. It is quite clear you are not for Obama, but even if the posted question is What is Obama going to do for caregivers?, and you are having "discussions", why are you giving Romney and Ryan free passes and not asking what they have done in all their years in publc office or will do for caregivers? That doesn't sound like an educated voter to me.

He already helped caregivers with the affordable care act (not everyone is old enough to have Medicare) and now those not on Medicare can also get health insurance (a great relief for any caregivers worried about not only day to day caregiving but also paying the bills) and by protecting Medicaid (which is often a more important source of help for caregivers than Medicare) he is keeping people like my family member at home by ensuring nursing home diversion funding is available to keep seniors and disabled in their communities, not in often neglectful and costly nursing homes. Here's an article you asked for.

He also attempted to enact affordable long term care insurance. And maybe not popular with people who want businesses unregulated to do whatever they want, he got new minimum wage and overtime protection for those who work as in home caregivers. This should be important to any caregiver with an aide coming to their home. Don't you want them paid a fair wage and able to get health insurance for themselves? Or do you want them having to work around the clock and while sick around your family member in order to support themsleves. I think it is outrageous (and I'd like any home health care agencies to explain this to me) how they can charge a client 16 per hour and pay the aid 10 per hour, day after day, week after week and not provide any health care benefits, no vacation time, tell them they have to buy their own gloves, they don't get mileage or pay for time traveling between jobs. They are considered independent workers and have to save to make sure they have enough at tax time to pay their taxes b/c the agency doesn't collect govt deductions. They have no unions, they are at the mercy of the "free enterprise system" that the triple Rs promote. and i can see why. The business owner is taking in 6 every hour and providing nothing, except initial placement and screening. Is this really the American way?

2much2cover: The question is "What is Obama going to do for caregivers" and I neither hear nor see of anything he is putting out there specific to helping caregivers. If you know of something, please give me your source so that I may check it out. Sorry, you are mistaken; I do NOT support Barack Obama and yes, I live in Michigan. What you are hearing from the media must be total Obama hype. I've been very involved in discussions with Michigan residents regarding their opionion of what help we can expect from Obama and it is a resounding "NONE". Remember, not everyone in Michigan is involved in the auto industry. Believing polls is your choice, but for me its what the real people on the street say that speaks to me. This state has suffered from too many broken Obama 2008 campaign promises but we have a new Republican governor and we are seeing a turn around in our state. Honestly, not one person who didn't work in the auto industry I spoke with said they would vote for Obama even though many did in 2008. I really have no more to say on the subject. Thank you for your comment.

LindaGs, just marked your answer helpful. I meant to address my comments to MichiganHopeful. by the way, the news below makes me very hopeful about Michigan also.

President Barack Obama, fresh off a Democratic National Convention in which the turnaround of Michigan's signature auto industry played a central role, heads into the final two months of the campaign with the state's voters solidly behind him.

A poll done by EPIC-MRA of Lansing for the Free Press, WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) and other media partners showed Obama with a commanding 10-percentage-point lead over Michigan-born-and-raised Mitt Romney, whose chances in the state may have been seriously hurt by last week's Democratic convention in Charlotte, N.C.

LindaGS: so what is his plan? Other than to protect those haves already who are not paying their fair share of taxes, like Romney himself, witih his 15% taxes. How this man thinks was exposed by, believe it or not, Jay Leno when he appeared on his talk show with this exchange copied below. How fortunate that he and his wife could afford to pay for insurance all those years b/c when her health problems occurred b/c if she was Mrs. Doe, whose husband's job did not offer health insurance, in the Romney world, it would have been tough luck, no insurance for you b/c you didn't buy it when you were healthy.

In an interview with "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno, Romney, a famously cautious campaigner who is occasionally teased for his on-camera stiffness, spent a few minutes cracking jokes before moving to serious back-and-forth over health care overhaul.

When repeatedly pressed by Leno over his plans to repeal President Obama’s health care law, Romney said under his own plan some individuals with pre-existing conditions would be guaranteed coverage.

“As long as you have been continuously insured, you ought to be able to get insurance going forward,” Romney said, but added that security would not be extended to so-called free-riders who only apply for insurance once they fall ill.

“If they are 45 years old and they show up and say I want insurance because I have heart disease, it's like, hey guys - we can't play the game like that,” Romney said.

LindaGS: Using your words "When the system is set up so that people can not earn enough to create a tax base that supports the social services we would like to have, local governments go broke and social services erode." Exactly. That is why we need to back a political option (Romney) that has a real plan to help this country to get back to work and businesses to grow and thus increase that tax base. Obama made MANY promises while campaigning the first time; now we are hearing the exact same things. Why? Because he didn't fix things the first time and now he wants a second chance. It's simple; grow the national economy not the national debt and we will again have the money for much needed social services. When our country is fiscially responsible, there is money to be allotted for vitally important things such as care giving. We are a large group that should not remain silent. Speak up! Contact your government at all levels and demand the caregiving issue be recognized. I'm not for government intrusion into my life mandating what help I can or can't get. I want to see options available from which myself and my loved one can make choices based on what fits our needs. I cared for my mother, in my home, for two years. As one of those aging baby boomers myself, I am taking needed steps to try and assure I am not passing this difficult financial situation on to my own children.

As Cat said above...caregiving is not political, at least it shouldn't be. No party...Republican, Democrat, Libertarian...nor any President, or Congress has done anything which focuses on caregiving. If fingers are going to be pointed for blame...it should be pointed at all of our lawmakers.

I guess it boils down to how people define family and how people define government. I believe that both should serve as our insurance and our safety net. I have bought lots of long term care insurance, fire insurance, health insurance and disability insurance.Ii do believe that I need to do my part. But for me the government is at it's best when the central issues are the ones we do better when we cooperate-- roads, sewers, schools, food quality, water quality, air quality, trade and money systems, defense, police fire. The problem is the agencies that do these jobs find that all systems are affected by the humans involved. Take water quality, if people are pouring motor oil down the drain, or are camping in the gullies and shitting in the stream it becomes an issue of public safety for the water quality managers. Who do they send out to encourage these folks to behave in a way that is good for everyone? What if the people are making these choices because of igorance or poverty or illness? That is why the social net of health care and housing gets created. The firefighters do not want to take the orphans home from each fire and care for them. The police do not have a solution as to what to do with the drunk who is sleeping on the steps of the school. I am in support of the firefighter, police and water quality guy. If they think we need more social services to get the world to a good place I need to support that.
Life is uncertain and sometimes it is so unfair. That is when we need to carry each other.
When the system is set up so that people can not earn enough to create a tax base that supports the social services we would like to have, local governments go broke and social services erode. That is what we are experiencing.That is the reality in the third world. My friend who lived in Nigeria lives with no fire service. When a house catches fire they get everyone out and let it burn to the ground helplessly. That is not a society I favor.

ganswilliams, I don't want to get personal, but since you said you take issue with the idea that caregivers should look to the govt for help, can you tell me how you are getting by without any govt help (like Medicare)? B/c , as someone who considers myself pretty independent and resourceful,, worked the same job over 25 years and who was working full time and suddently faced with a parent who could not care for themselves ,who did not have a long term insurance policy or lots of assets, I'd like to know, what were my choices, other than turning my back on my parent (is this the R solution? which by the would would have made the govt pay for full time medicaid nursing home placement?, unless the R solution involves sending the poor elderly into the forest to die alone? ) if I didn't have the meager 20 hours of govt supplied aides i now get , I would have to quit my job entirely. So why do you say I shouldn't expect my govt to help me when I have been a loyal citizen and taxpayer for years? I don't get a choice in whether my tax dollars go to wars or to pay for others mtg or loan mistakes so why should others tell me that I shouldn't get help for caregiving or help with health insurance?

So Cal 101
What hood? that is the most amazing choice of words.. He went to Punaho High School, lived in a lovely high rise with his grandmother the bank vice president. Then he attended three prestigous private colleges.... What "hood" is he from? What hood has he been in to collect these thugs? Such a Alice in Wonderland world we are in right now. I think that hood is called Harvard Law, guess your kin went to Yale.

1 2 3 4