Is it appropriate that the nursing home requested a meeting with me but will not tell me what it is?

If this meeting is for a family member, call and ask what it is regarding so you can come prepared. I never go to a meeting without preparation...I don't enjoy being "blindsided."
Yes its for my grandfather I repeatadley asked but have bee ignored what should I do its today ?
Wow...why on earth would they talk to you this way? Has there been an incident lately? Sometimes these places get too caught up in the administration and forget that they are dealing with human beings.
I would be a little suspicious if they have turned down your request for information. Two things you could consider: Tell them you cannot attend until you have the reason for the meeting. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, take someone with you who can be a second set of eyes and ears.
It may not be anything to worry about, on the other hand you have to protect your grandfather's rights.
good luck...let us know what happened
This facility has had numerous problems for the past six month .Thank you ! The problem is there are no organizations to help family members who have loved ones in the nursing home.
I would make them tell me what the meeting is about -go fathur up the chain of command right to admistration if need be so you are not wasting your time and refuse to meet them until you know what it is about so you can prepare for the meeting-most good nursing homes have family meeting 2 weeks after admision and if in rehad each few weeks and about every 6 months for residents but these are always explained to the family-if you do not get answers go to your state board of health with your concerns.
This actually came from Nursing home administrator. My grandfather has been there for 2 and a half years. 6 Month ago all staff including administration changed we had problems with medication wrongley being dispenced or not dispenced at all , residents who are wonderers have come in to my grandfathers room in the middle of the night and the administration blamed him for this. The care is diplorable but at this time I have no wear to move him and he does not want to leave. I am there every day and see the neglect and have voiced my complaintes over and over. I have cought nurses leaving medication on his night stand and so much more. Omundsman have very little knowledge and are imposible to get time to talk to.
I hope that you have a notebook or clipboard with you everyday, and document every single substandard incident.

What did the meeting turn out to be about?
Go and find out.
I agree (once again) with Lilliput. Get a reason for the meeting first and tell them you will not attend until after you know what it's about. You need to go into the meeting prepared. It may not be anything to worry about, it may be just a routine update. But sometimes administration just kinda takes it for granted that the caregiver is "just supposed to show up" when they want to discuss things. Also, take a notebook and write down everything - not just at meetings but ALL the time. I always walked around the hospitals and rehab centers with my notebook and pen and documented EVERYTHING I observed with dates, nurses and staff names next to it. I had the date on the page the moment I walked in the door, and went from there - even wrote down things that mom mentioned to me or that I heard from her roommate or in the hallway - whether good or bad. At meetings I was always writing things down - we tend to forget things an hour later after we leave the meeting. You'd be surprised how many times those notes came in handy weeks later. It also made staff very nervous (as they called me the "girl who always takes notes") because they knew they couldn't say or do anything without it being documented. See if your County has a "Council on Aging" that can assist you. First I would speak with the Social Worker at the facility - I found them very helpful with my mom and I - and they are not there supporting administration, they are there helping the patient and caregiver. They should assist you with information and if things are not being run correctly at the facility - they will know the organization to call and report it. When I told the social worker at my mom's rehab of a comment made by staff at a local assisted living facility that I was checking out, she immediately picked up the phone and called authorities and reported them. So check out the social worker to help you, tell them you will not attend meeting without first knowing what it's about, and DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT everything you see and hear. Good luck. Keep us posted.
My mother's rehab/conv. has a meeting two weeks after the patient is admitted, and after that it is on a quarterly basis. I'm thankful that they do this, because they can keep me updated, and it gives me an opportunity to give my input. (I.E. my mother talks about going home often) If we are all on the same page, we are going to be giving her the same information--"this is a transition time for her and the best situation for her at this time"...) I'm not saying one thing to her only to have the staff say something entirely different. We can have a "game plan" and stick to it. We do the same thing at our school when we have conferences with the parents of our children. I think it is a great idea. Please keep us updated as to what the meeting was about. It is never easy if it is a difficult situation to for either party to discuss the issues, but hopefully you can all come up with a good solution to benefit all involved. :)