My mother is 96-years-old and sleeps a great deal during the day, and isn't eating very much. Is this normal?

Hi Patti & Dogs ~

I think it probably is normal but I am no expert.
Is the weather hot?
I've read about Sundown Syndrome on the Grossed Out & other threads.

Let's help Patti all of you experienced caregivers!
Although it is common, I would not say it is normal. A lot of time, woman at that age tend to start giving up, and choose not to be active. At this point, sometimes it is only helpful if you the child get's involved, and make decisions for their parent they might not want to make or be able to make themselves. Does your mother have another other health issues or just old age? Have you considered Assisted Living? This could be a way for her to be social and get involved in activities! Also, the care can prevent any "scares" happening.
PATTI:

She might be a night owl or probably suffers from severe depression; hard to tell. Plus she's 96, not as active as you'd like her to be, and might be too tired to chew most of the time.

While you set up an appointment with her doctor, check out Helpguide.org and WebMD for tips. Good luck my friend.

-- ED

I have had more than one almost centenarian tell me that they are tired - not just "body tired" but "brain tired" or "soul tired". Sleep is the ultimate respite for all of us! Fear, anxiety, pain, anger, uncertainty, etc all fade away when a person sleeps.
I have also had many seniors who make the decision to limit how much they choose to participate in the world and sleeping is an acceptable way to "check out"!
My mom sleeps a lot during the day as well. Her appetite has decreased a whole lot, even the things that she really likes that I make for her. When I take her outside to her garden she constantly asks to go in, I just ignore her and keep on working in the yard. I figure she wears herself out by asking over and over besides there are things that need to be done out there.

I adhere to the idea of their body, mind, and spirit just being tired. This makes sense to me. My mom is 90.

Since her health has worsen she's become more difficult, matter of fact she bit me yesterday. So now when she's sleep I kind of think of it as a rest for me.
My grandmother is almost 97 years old. back in october she fell and broke her hip. she survived not only the broken hip but also the surgery to repair it AND a blood clot...it is now March and she has given up. she can no longer hold herself up and we have to have hospice come in twice a week. we have been trying to keep her comfy but the last 2 days all she has done is sleep. not hungry not thirsty we have to force feed her and keep her hydrated. i fear that what i have read is that she has really given up and just wants to go home. so my question is...is this kind of sleep normal? all day and all night? now under stand up until last year she still tended her gardens and she did not even retire from being a nurse till 10 years ago. she is a strong strong woman so this scares me.i lost my mother the week before my grandmother broke her hip. i know you cant prepare but i dont want to not have a clue as to what is going on. any information is helpful.
Hazelnut,

Many seniors have different sleep patterns are they age. Some elders are unable to sleep through the night and other elder's sleep all day. Sleep patterns can be caused by the disease, medications, depression, etc.

I have included a few article to help you understand the sleep process in the elderly more. I wish you and your grandmother well.

Sleep Disorders Articles
https://www.agingcare.com/Sleep-Disorders/Articles-1

Do People Need Less Sleep As They Age?
https://www.agingcare.com/Articles/Sleep-and-Aging-133153.htm

~Karie

Yes, this is nomal. In regards to the appetite, as long as you offer drinks and food, she will take them if she feels thirst or hunger. In regards to the sleep, as long as you bathe her, change clothing/pajamas, avoid skin breakdown, help reposition as needed, there is nothing wrong with this! Assess her for pain and treat it if needed. Be kind to her when she wakes. You and your mother are very fortunate if too muchsleep and. No appetite are your biggest concerns. I do not mean that in a sarcastic way, I am being sincere. Take care!
My mother just turned 50. She had back surgery in 2005 and 2006 but she developed other complications which have changed her attitude, mood, and behavior. she refuses to leave the house does not have a single friends and do not know anyone around her neighborhood. She spend her days sleeping up to 16 hours a day at night she is mostly up watching t.v. or just trying to read. She is alone during the day with the house dog, but she never brings herself to walk the dog or even spend too much time playing with him. When I get home from school and my father from work, we try to make her active but she gets very angry and asked to be left alone. My mother takes medications for depression but still her attitude is like from someone who has given up on life and everything else. She tells us to leave her alone that she is doing ok. she only prefers to sleep rather than think about her everyday lifestyle. Is my mother trying to commit suicide by making herself sicker not doing any type of exercise, not eating healthy, not socializing, not caring whether she dies or lives? What can I do?
My mother is 73 we lost my dad in 2010 they were married for 32 years and she has not worked since 1985 and now she lives with me and my husband, I am the youngest of 9 and dont mind her company however she does not want to do anything but watch tv and sleep most of the day, she is a early riser most of the time (7am) but by 11 she wants to do nothing but sleep she says she was watching the tv but i ask her things about the show and she makes up things. she will sleep off and all through out the day and gets on the computer to play games so is this normal or should I be worried shes depressed or getting demcitia? She also has really cut my other siblings out of her life and will not invite them or over even want to talk to them on the phone..... Any answers will be appericated.

Loving my mom