My mother insists she is sick, makes up symptoms and wants to visit the doctor for attention. What can I do?

She does have mild Parkinson's but is otherwise has good health.

16

Answers

I just realized I should have posted this as a question, I apologize.

My husband and I take care of his grandfather who is 88 and has Alzheimers for about 2 years now. He has always been the type to like attention and this seems to have just gotten worse.
I have tried to research a certain situation that had happened the other day. He complained of a "sour stomach" . He had no typical symptoms of a stomach bug. No vomitting or diarrhea. Kept saying he could not hold anything down. He drank lots of water and held it down as well as a sandwich. The next day he was in a complete panic and said he was hot and sweating and his stomach hurt. He refused to go to the ER. He calmed down and slept. LAter that day he complained again and would not eat all day. We took him to his Primary care dr. Nothing was wrong and it seemed like he almost did not know why we were there. That night I made him eat some soup. He was fine. Late that night he frealed out. Refused ER again. The next morning same thing, this time he had no choice and we spent 5 hours in the ER and nothing was wrong. No UTI, no virus etc. He had an xray and a catscan, blood work and urine test. He ate fine that night and took a long nap. He started complaining the next night again..............not as much in a panic but I do not know what to do................... help

With the husband I had to just stop taking him all the time-it took hours to get him ready and we had to wait so long for the doc-the day he said on the way home I have to make an appointment to see Dr R as we were going home from seeing her because he forgot to tell her something was the day I cut back on the doc visits-after well over 100 doc visits in 9 months that was it for me.

I fully understand the writer complaining about her complaining parent. Even if you feel a little bad you don't have to carry on and cry and scream to get attention. Caregivers begin to resent such behavior, as have I. Mom calls crying and says she can't drive herself to the doctor so I have to take off work spend the day taking her to doctor, shopping mall and out to lunch. Then, the next day she will drive herself to church and to visit friends as though nothing is wrong. I get that she wants and needs attention but it is like a child exhibiting negative behavior to get attention This behavior of pretending to be sick should not be rewarded.

Your Mom is too cute, jbozman. God bless her! Thanks for sharing her little adventures.

My mom's just the opposite - I have to drag her to the doctor. But at home, she complains constantly that her back hurts (she's 89 and it's mild osteoporosis and arthritis), the inside of her left arm hurts (she had blood drawn at the doc's and that's the arm they used) and she coughs constantly (her lungs are clear). Every time she's at the doc's she denies all of the above and I'm the one who has to bring them up and get her checked out.....always with the same diagnosis. If I get some medications (cough syrup, etc.), she won't take them. At the last doctor appointment, the doc asked her why she keeps complaining of these things if they really don't exist or don't bother her. Mom's reply? "I just like the sympathy."

Funny. I'm the only one who gets the complaints. Whenever anyone visits or we go out, her arm doesn't bother her at all, her back is fine, and she never coughs. I swear, people think I'm crazy when I tell them what goes on here!

I agree with you, naheaton. We just never know. Even well-meaning and skilled doctors do not always catch every malady. It happens.

Mom just thrived on dr appts, it was like a social outing for her. She'd talk about what she was going to wear, were we going to lunch afterwards, the whole nine yards. I work, only a few people in the office, so it was difficult to take off almost an entire day off just for one dr appt where the dr came in the exam. room for 3 min and rushed out. I finally had to do like 195Austin and put my foot down. I insisted she make a list and go over it all with the dr. to prevent the need to go again too soon. I didn't want to deprive her of getting out but this was excessive. She finally got the message and started being more considerate of other people's time.

I would worry about the whole 'crying wolf' thing. What happens if he really is sick and no one believes him, then what? Scary.

My husband was addicted to going to docs on the way home from his main docs would say had to make another appointment to see her and I would say you were just there and he would say I forgot to ask her something I had to just refuse to take him to a doc unless he seemed to be sick he just loved the attention.