My mother-in-law is in a nursing home for rehab after surgery. The home says my husband must have POA before they tell him anything about her. What should we do?

Answers 1 to 1 of 1
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
This is the HIPAA law in action - she needs to sign a form to let anyone else see her health care records. HIPAA language should be written into a health directive, also called a Power Of Attorney for Health Care. If he is asking about financial arrangements, then he'll need to be on the Power Of Attorney for finances - these are two different things. These documents should be put in place now, if they haven't been already. I hope his mother understands the importance of this. Estate attorneys handle writing these documents up - or elder law attorneys.
Good luck,

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support