dragonfly82 Asked June 2010

My father has a serious mental problem and I'm afraid he will hurt my 91-year-old mother. What do I do?

He refuses to get help and I need to get a court order.

3

Answers

anne123 Jun 2010
If you have a feeling your father could hurt your mother, your instincts are probably correct. Take this seriously and make the calls you need to----as blove suggested.

blove88105 Jun 2010
Call your local county or state office of the aging. They can help however if you think your mom is in immediate danger you have an obligation to call the police or your local District Attorney's office.

Eddie Jun 2010
FLY 82:

Does he know what he's doing despite the "serious mental problem"? If so, give him a choice: either refrain from taking it out on your mother or he's leaving to where he won't be a danger to anyone. There are a lot of people who use their old age as a license to do whatever they want and expect everyone else for feel sorry for them and make excuses to justify their behavior. ... Explain it to him in plain English as if he were a 6 year old boy who doesn't know anything. Believe me, he'll get the message -- and the picture. Good luck.

-- ED