Dad wants a divorce from his second wife. Can she get his social security benefits?

Asked by

Hi, My father remarried 4 years ago he had a probelem a week ago he is now in a Geropsychiatric hospital. Can his wife get his S. S. Check. He wants a Divrce from her. She want him to take care of her. I am in the process of getting power of attorney. She is not on his vistor list for the hospital. He gets very angry when is her name comes up.

Answers 1 to 1 of 1
Expert Answer
395 helpful answers
No, his wife is not entitled to his social security check. If they divorce, it is possible that a judge could order a portion of his income be paid to her as part of settlement, but it is very unlikely.

As his wife, however, she does have certain spousal rights. You are wise to get the power of attorney as soon as is possible.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support