My 67-year-old dad is legally married, but has been living with me for the last 8 months in another state. What are my rights to make health decisions for him?

Asked by

Can I acquire Power of Attorney? His wife put him out.

Answers 1 to 1 of 1
Is he in the process of creating a legal separation? or a divorce? If he is 67 and of sound mind, he should be making his own medical decisions. He can also include you on his HIPPA forms whenever he goes to a doctor so that you can discuss his conditions with the docs.
If he is of sound mind, and agrees to do so, you can become his PoA. (I assume that his wife does not currently have his PoA)
Consult an elder attorney, if you want to pursue this. I am my Mom's PoA...I used online forms and followed the instructions for my state.
good luck

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support