Mom was recently diagnosed as having a "Personality Disorder." I'm wondering what this means, and where we go from here?

51

Answers

A "personality disorder" is a mental health issue, and a serious one. If there was a sudden change in her personality, it's possible dementia is involved and she then needs to see someone who will test her for that. If this isn't sudden, maybe the diagnosis is correct. They will likely try counseling and medication.

So, please ask yourself, how did change become evident to you? When did it start? If no dementia tests were given, I'd strongly suggest that those tests be done, including a PET scan. Medications would be different for the two diseases.

Take care,

My mother has BPD. I always thought she was just plain crazy. It was good to be able to put a name to it. Growing up in her home was not fun. Now she lives in my home. I am her caregiver. It is difficult to say the least. But I have learned how to deal with her.
As time goes by it gets better, not because she has changed but because I have changed. My mother has always been the queen of guilt trips but I don't allow them to wound me anymore. You see, we do the best we can as our mother's daughters. We are the product of their upbringing. But we can rise above that, with prayer, and care for them better then they ever cared for us. Except her as she is and forgive her.

Forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, and the waste of spirit.

If you mean Borderline personality disorder I"m surprised it would have taken her this long to be diagnosed. BP's are chameleons - with chaotic lives. They lie. They are sugary sweet and charming to some, hateful to others. Its always drama and all about them. They fear abandonment and can be incredibly vindictive if they feel threatened

There is a good book called Walking on Eggshells and lots of info on the internet.

walking on eggshells- that is it-I send blessings to anyone who's loved ones have it I wish I had had a name for it when it would have done me some good but at least I was listened to by our N.P. about bi-polor

Dear sisiter sisiter, When they told you mom my have a PERSONELITY DISODER they may have not know what is wrong with your mom. Yes there some test that are simple. I was lied to by the doctors in New York before I brought mom to Fl. But I did notice changes little by little. But no one would help until a demanded a special doctor to see her. If mom does have Alzheimer's/Demntia the illness does get worse but there are medicines that can be given if it is the early stages its better. my mom just had two test done. One was in May 2009 after leaving the hospital. And going back to the assisting living and another one when she fell and went back into the hospital in June 2009 and several doctors asked several test.Of course I was there her whole stay and I started to cry when the testing was done. One of the kind doctors stayed with me because he knew what I was going through, his grandfather was being treated and his dad is going through what I am. Yes the book THE-36 HOUR DAY DAY does help me and also the Alzhemer's Assocation is always there for me. No one person can give all the answer why this happens to some people. Mom never drank or smoked but she used to take pills. I was so younge I did not know what they were. They keep telling me there light at the end and I am a good person for being there for my mom 24/7 . But no what's to see there own parent fall apart in and forget things or say things or not remember there grandchildren or husband (DAD). She does know me at all times. I have not been to the assisting livinf in a week because my nerves acted up and I had chest pains. Its was related to stress. I do have a friend (neighbor) who works part time and she said mom change in medicine is working. I have a class today (support group) And I am going to see mom Fri. All I can say to you is take care of yourself, bless.Your words come over as a caring daughter. have a nice day .

Sometimes starting your drive with a smooth sounding CD, or Rev, Vincent Peale's CD on The Power of Positive Thinking is a great way to set the tone and your expectations for your drive time. If Mom acts up as she normally does, verbally re-direct her attention to the music, and/or message If neither of those are of interest, a book on CD that is simple to follow, maybe a biography, or Anything not too fast-paced may help to slow your Mom's thinking down and help to mentally transport her elsewhere instead of becoming stuck.

My pleasure, SecretSister. I also enjoy Deepak Chopra's narrative CD's. I am a believer in prayer and spirituality that transcends all religious denominations, though I will always remain true to my Christian beliefs. For those of us who are believers in God and prayers, there is a saying to the effect that prayer always changes things, even if it's only me.

Matters not to me what changes, as I can tell it matters not to you when you say that it may be a positive focus for you.

I promise you that much of a shift in focus will occur, if only for you. Even if that is all that happens, imagine the peace and serenity that is yours regardless of where your Mom may remain psychologically and emotionally speaking, albeit no fault of her own.

Blessings and peace to you with your beautiful and patient caregiving Spirit, SecretSister. It is already well within your soul, I can tell, in terms of your soul searching and seeking. Keep right on doing what you're doing. You will never become stuck as long as you are a searcher for truth and peace. Hugs.

My pleasure, SecretSister! That's what friends are for. To God be the Glory, indeed. My Dad used to say that we have God and we have each other. That always sticks with me in times of life challenges. We are never alone; just takes eyes of faith to see, and to "be still, and know...."

What a beautiful tribute to sunshine in your Spirit, yearight. I agree with you. We are free to rejoice, free to celebrate and free to release and share our painful and stressful moments. Life happens. Sounds like we are all making the best of it. How uplifting! God bless us all. SecretSister, I sure do look forward to being reunited with Dad, and our other loved ones who have earned theri eternal rest. I enjoy my life, challenges and all, so I only have hope in my heart for eternity. The choppy moments of this life eventually fade away. Nothing on this earth is permanent. Why should my stress and worry be permanent when everything else is but for a season?