momneedshelp Asked October 2009

Is there funeral assistance for Veterans?

My father is a veteran and he is in bad health. My family is worried about funeral expenses. We just found out that he never had life insurance. Is there assistance for funerals for veterans?

25

Answers

1 3
keashacali Feb 2016
Hi. All of tthe men in my family have served our country including my step dad that passed away this past Saturday. We found out he didn't have any life insurance. The funeral costs are $7000 and the home wants $5000 the day before the ceremony. They have been together over 12 years but finally got married last September. (which makes their marriage only 5 months) Everywhere my mother is going is saying they can't offer any assistance. Surely he is not the only veteran that didn't prepare himself with insurance. Please if anyone know's anything that can help I truly appreciate it.

N1K2R3 Mar 2015
Veterans with honorable discharge can and should receive burial assistance in a national cemetery. There is no compensation for a funeral however, since a funeral is optional. As far as transportation is concerned, I think that you should check with the cemetery, the VA and the funeral home of your choice.

oneoftwo Mar 2015
Hi, the VA does not recognize POAs, so it would not benefit you to have that. But you can get third party rights to speak on his behalf. It does render him incompetent on paper possibly so ask them.

There are forms to file for funeral costs less insurance received, i filled them for my mom last week, and included the cost of cemetary plots.

pamstegma Mar 2015
singforjoi, you pre-plan with a funeral director that is near him, most will do a free consultation.

sing4joi Mar 2015
My father lives in a different state. We prefer he be interred with his spouse at Veteran's Wood National. How do we pre-plan for transporting him.

jakemint Aug 2014
In my experience as a funeral director, the VA will only pay for headstone and flag for veterans who do not die in a VA Hospital or facility (nursing home). If they do die in VA facility they will pay transportation cost to funeral home and to the cemetery which can be from $500 to more than $1,000 depending on distance. Sometimes there is a benefit to help with interment cost but things have been cut drastically since I began in 1970. Plan in advance is the best advice I can give.

N1K2R3 Sep 2012
The Vets get free burials and free markers, flag and service at the cemetery. Cremations are extremely reasonable, if not free also. You don't need a "funeral".
The service can be "graveside", and if you have a church, they will give you free mention in their memorials. Jefferson Barracks is wonderful. Be proud!

eforesyth Aug 2012
my father just died today. he will be buried at jefferson barracks in missouri but wanted to be cremated but i have no money and they do not pay for him to be cremated. i can not pay for this because i am also losing my home because my father helped me with my payments. what can i do ?

eforesyth Aug 2012
my father will be at jefferson barracks but he wants to be cremated and they do not pay for that and i have no way to pay ,what can i do?

renee1951 Aug 2012
I am new to the VA qualifications for a war-time vet. My husband is a Viet Nam vet and nearly died two weeks ago. Thank God he has come around and may recover after all. But it woke me up to "Oh my gosh! What do I do?". He wants cremation and wants his ashes here and there and everywhere. Not possible in most of his choices. But his sisters and I thought long and hard about what would honor his life most. We felt the new Missoula VA cemetary would be perfect for him. He has many fellow veterans of Viet Nam that may be there already.

As a young high school boy he played taps for the Viet Nam Vets at their funerals. It was extremely meaningful for him. He upped for the Navy a couple of years later and made it home safely after 4 years.

I want my cremains to be buried with his. I got the phone number for the VA Cemetary - 406-721-5778. I'm sure they can give me all the information including cost. I hope this was helpful.

1 3