anonymous12582 Asked January 2010

If I financially provide for my disabled mother, but she doesn't live with me, can I claim her on my taxes?

2

Answers

Aleeta Feb 2010
When a parent is able to remain in his or her own house, in an assisted living facility or a nursing home, costs you pay for parental support at those locations may count toward meeting IRS requirements.

If you and your parent do meet IRS requirements, you'll be able to claim an added personal exemption on your 2009 income tax return. This filing season, each exemption allows you to reduce your taxable income by $3,500.

Check IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information for details and examples. The booklet also contains a work sheet to help you figure your support contributions.

N1K2R3 Feb 2010
Do you want to claim her as a Dependent or as Credit For The Elderly ( two different sitautions). I would refer to Publication 17 2009, and check on Dependents first. I really don't know the answer since she is not living with you.