How can siblings work together to pay for mom's Assisted Living Expenses?

Asked by

I need tips on how to send money and pay for rent.

Answers 1 to 5 of 5
Expert Answer
22 helpful answers
The best bet is to prepare a family transition plan, identifying all of your combined reources, who will pay for what, etc. Once you are all in agreement, the mechanics are pretty simple, but depend upon the situation. Also, there are IRS forms you can each use to record the shared responsibility for your Mom as long as it is clear whether or not she is being claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return.

As a family transition coach, this is one of the issues I help siblings deal with and there are as many answers to your question as there are families. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your specific situation -- no charge for that initial conversation.

-- Sheri
If I read your question correctly, you are not asking how to organize your siblings to contribute to mom's care. You are asking who can you trust to ensure these payments get to the right people and that no one rips off your mom while she is vulnerable in Assisted Living. That is an excellent question--especially if you and your siblings are trying to manage mom's care from a distance and do not live close enough to "drop in" everyday.
One option is to locate a certified Geriatric Care Manager in the area where your mother resides. This person can handle most of the day-to-day financial and medical care details on your behalf and will report your mom's status on a regular basis so that you need only intervene if a serious medical or financial problem arises. Here is a good starting point for finding the right person:
James it is so great that you siblings seem to be working together in this it usually does not work that way-how many of you are there and it is so comforting to know that at times this happens and I am sure Sheri will be a good resource and you and your siblings should give yourselves a great pat on the back for standing up to this challange-it does my heart good to hear what you are doing-you are a great example for us all-God bless
James, Please check to see if your family member in need has Medicade or can qualify for the program. Some states also have a COPES program.
Check out the Medicaid Wavier Program for Adult Day Care Service, which will provide Day Time Supervision and FREE meals
during the time she is there up to 5 days a week.

Some cities have Section 8 Housing Assistance, depending on income qualification, Check with your local Housing Authority.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support