Has anyone caring for someone with Alzheimer's heard about medicinal food?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had their doctor discuss this with them - or heard about it from another source. There are now prescription only medicinal foods (in powder to shake form) that help with the dietary needs if of people with early and moderate stage Alzheimers.

I haven't heard of prescriptions, but of course there are many supplements and proteins available. Antioxidants and fish oil are believed to be very helpful with Alzheimer's and now a new study has shown Vitamin D3 and cucumin (from tumeric) is even reversing some signs of the disease.

I'm a believer in supplements, so I'm biased, but I'm happy to see the medical profession looking at this. I'd like to read some labels and see if they are as good as some sources I've found (nanotechnology). Absorbability is essential, and aging bodies don't always absorb nutrients well. You can give high doses, but if they are not absorbed they won't help.

Anyway, this is good news, Cat. Keep us posted on any more that you hear.
It's best to be careful about some of these herbs if the person is on Coumadin. Tumeric, for example, interacts drastically with some patients who are taking Coumadin, a blood thinner. Before adding any herbs it's best to check with someone who knows the effects of the combination. Some cause the blood to thicken and clot, such as foods high in Vitamin K, and some cause increased thinning of the blood, which could result in a bleed-out.
Axona is a medical food approved by the FDA. It is available by perscription only.
Souvenaid is a medical food in clinical trials.
I have heard of Axona, I haven't tried it yet for my loved one. I'd love to hear from people who have tried it.
Axona was the one I had read about - apparently a symptom of Alzheimers is hypometabolism which affects how they absorb food. Thanks for the info on Souvenaid - I'll check out the trial info on the web.

I'm very interested in nutrition and like Beaone learned about food interactions and Coumadin (Warfarin) therapy when my mom was put on anticoag therapy. There are charts online and even recipes if you are shopping and cooking for a coumadin user. Beaone & Carol's advice is very important and potentially lifesaving.

Interestly enough - antibiotics can also affect PT/INR levels of coumadin users - so a UTI or other infection means you have to test more frequently and adjust diet to compensate.