Should I have my mom's home put in to my name?

My mother has either early stage Alzheimers or Dementia-Dr's haven't totally pinned this down for me yet. She is taking Alzheimer meds but they don't seem to do much (if any) good, but that isn't the problem.
Two years ago my stepfather (her husband died) and left mom without any income except her Social Security which is about $1,000 a month, however he did leave her with TRICARE for medical (he was retired military) and medicare so she doesn't really have any major medical bills. She also was left with a mobile home on about 1/3 acre. Unfortunately it isn't paid off yet, she still owes about $10K on it.
All in all mom is in pretty good physical shape but her memory is pretty bad. She generally reminds me of a petulant child and it is very hard to make her happy. This is what makes me think it is early alzheimers.
My husband and I live within a mile of mom and due to her memory lapses I immediately started taking care of her bills and things like that. Within 6 months I realized I had to stop her from driving because it was a danger to others.
My husband and I live in a tiny mobile home in a senior community. We don't even have room for a nail to hang mom on so she can't come live with us. Also we don't own the land where our mobile is, we just rent to land.
I am one of 5 children that my mother had. So far she has outlived 3 of her children. There are only 2 of us left. My older sister lives about 100 miles away and basically only talks to my mom by phone maybe once a month. I am the one that calls mom daily, takes care of her medication, buys her groceries, takes her to the Dr, takes her cat to the vet, etc. But so far she has been capable of living alone. As time goes on I can see that it won't be long before that isn't possible. I also work a full time job and can't quit because I am the one that provides our medical insurance.
I have POA for my mom and she has a will which leaves her mobile home to me. She made that decision 2 years ago because she said I am the only one that helps her. She really doesn't have anything else of value to worry about. Recently I moved mom into a tiny little apartment so that we could try to sell her place. Mainly because she needed to be in a smaller place using less utilities and closer to neighbors for more companionship. I also figured if we sold it she could use the money to live better and hopefully continue to live independently with my help. I also figured that if she had to go to a nursing home eventually the Gov would take her place anyway. My husband and I have been cleaning and painting her place in hopes of selling it but it has been a few months with no real interest.
I can't afford to move into her place and lose my place if I will be thrown out when she passes or goes to a nursing home and I can't afford to pay for my place on the side. Things are very tight money wise for my husband and I.
If her place doesn't sell, the best thing would be for my husband and I to move into it and bring mom back to live with us until we can no longer handle her, but like I said I don't want to be left homeless.
I have been told that if the house hasn't been in my name for 5 years the gov can take it from me.
What should I do? Any help is appreciated. I can see this is rambling but I hope you can figure out what I mean.

65

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Check out the care giver law .If you have to move her back home & you live with her taking care of her for at least 2yrs house is safe

Is there a way to get my Dad's name and put in us kids name without waiting the 5 years

My mom lives in Alabama in an assisted living facility. She has been diagnosed with Dementia and will need Nursing Home care very soon. My mother and father owned a home which was in both names. My father passed away in 2007 and the property was just in her name. In 2011 the property was appraised and my mom and 4 siblings agreed on a price for me to purchase the property. In June 2016 the property will be out of her name for 5 years, however, I make annual payments and a balance is still outstanding. Do I need to pay the remaining balance before the end of June or is the balance owed a means of recovery should my mom need nursing home care? An attorney prepared the Sales Contract, Recorded mortgage and Deed Transfer.

My mom had a living trust done about 8 years ago , she put her house in three of her children names but she still lives there alone .She has beginning Alzheimer's and we need to take her out of that house , can we sell this house to take care of some of the expenses ?

Patseyann, are you the DPOA, if so you can. We did it for my Mom but dont forget to draw up a caregivers contract. You will be taking care of your Mom for 5 years though as its a look back. Its been longer than that for me but I am keeping Mom home with us, she never wanted to go into a nursing home. State funded nursing homes are horrible! Let her go to a private pay place with her money!

It sounds to me as though you need to consult an elder care attorney to properly understand all the ramifications of whatever actions you decide to take. It seems to me that you should see the house to fund her as private pay in the NH (gets you a better placement to begin with, just make sure that they will accept Medicaid down the road), but it depends upon whether there is a spouse living at home, or disabled or dependent children.

I do have POA for her, how does that affect this?

letsgo - you likely have a couple of issues regarding getting mom into a NH.

- the NH isn't interested in mom's house per se, what the NH is interested in is getting paid for mom's stay 1 way or another. Whether it's private pay, Medicaid or LTC insurance.

- what type of home equity situation? HELOC or a reverse mortgage? Both have very specific qualifiers and mom has to be in compliance for them in order for the loan not to be called in. Moving from the property would be out of compliance.

- most who run out of funds & need to be in a facility apply for Medicaid. Medicaid is an "at-need" entitlement which will pay for NH and in some states will pay for AL under a waiver program (not all states do this and AL's participating can be limited). "At-Need" means financially impoverished and ALSO medically "at-need" for skilled nursing services. If mom has gifted any of her funds 5 years prior to her Medicaid application, she will face a transfer penalty period before Medicaid will pay for her care. Now the state (which administers Medicaid and each state has it;s own unique twist too) can ask for all mom's financials for 5 full years prior to the application. For my mom, the look-back was 3 years & 6 months of finances (banking, insurance, real property) plus burial & funeral policies and 5 years look-back on real property. If your mom has gifted, it will surface eventually & become a penalty. I would suggest that you do a rough calculation to determine just how big of a penalty it would be & then if family who got the funds can repay.

- now your mom's home is an exempt asset for Medicaid for the rest of her lifetime in most states. Now although this sounds just fabulous, the issue will be that mom once in a NH on Medicaid, will have no - none - nada - zilch of her monthly income (like her SS or any retirement) to spend of anything on the house. When they go onto Medicaid for NH, they are required to do a co-pay of their monthly income to the NH. This is called their "SOC" - share of cost. They get a small personal needs allowance (ranges from $ 35 - 90 a month) but there will realistically be no $ to pay for anything on the house ever again. My suggestion to to look hard at what the costs are to keep the house and if you or other family can realistically & dependably pay for all on the house (taxes, insurance, utilities, upkeep etc) for the rest of mom's lifetime (whether 6 months or 6 years) AND also if there is a good reason to keep the house (could be that your are honoring mom's wishes to keep her home, or other reasons). There's no mortgage, so it may be that the costs are super minimal and not an issue. For most families, this just isn't feasible for the possibly long haul. What seems to happen most is that family who promise to do certain things (like cut the grass or pay the taxes), do it for a few months and then just don't anymore and then family who has done their part (like they pay the insurance & utilities) is stuck. Keeping the house is like having a 2nd or 3rd home without an immediate benefit.

- what is required of the home equity lender? Do they require that the borrower (your mom, who is the owner) be living in the home? Will they require an increased amount of insurance or repairs in order to qualify for the loan? - often for those who own their home for ages, they are very underinsured and when they do a loan, they find that their $ 400 homeowners just won't due and that homeowners needs to be increased and now they also need flood & perhaps other new peril insurance. So how is going to be paid? Also what would be the repayment situation?

- if you maintain the house, realize that upon mom's death it reverts from an exempt asset to an non-exempt asset. Now the state is required to recoup or be reimbursed for all spend on mom by Medicaid by placing a claim or a lien on any assets mom has in her estate. This is the MERP - Medicaid estate recovery program. Now MERP has all sorts of exemptions, exclusions, etc and if you reasonably can make those work for you & can fully document as to why, then MERP may not be an issue.

For most, keeping the house just isn't feasible. SInce your mom owns the home, the good part is that she will have 94% of the proceeds (6% commission to the Realtor) to be able to private pay for the NH. She may be able to stretch the $$ to have it so that all that gifting get outside of the 5 year lookback possibly too. Being private pay will give her lots more options as to which facility. Often some want you to do 2 years of private pay before you can be placed on the Medicaid bed list too. Good luck, none of this is simple.

My mom has dementia and will need nursing home care- her house is paid for, but she has given sizable money gifts in the past 5 yrs to family members- can thehome still use her home equity to fund her nursing home care?

Thank-you!
I will make calls later today concerning documentation needed and scheduling a formal appraisal.
You have been an enormous help.

1 2 3 4 5