My 90-year-old grandmother is sleeping much more and looks lethargic. What can I do for her so that she has more energy?

She is 90 years old and I am finding her asleep in her chair more and more or sleeping on the bed during times when she would usually be awake. She does not take any sleeping meds of any kind.

Walking is hard for her, but she used to be able to manage short distances. Now just a walk around the house or some stairs is very hard for her.

Today it took notice with everyone in my family. I found my mother (who is an R.N.) and sister crying together in the kitchen telling me how she does not look good anymore and how she (grandmother) tried to walk around the house but it was too much for her.

It's happening too quickly. She hasn't been like this less than a month ago.

Any insight/opinion is greatly appreciated for me to find a way to maybe put some pep back into her or anything that could help. Thank you.

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
Perhaps people just get old and worn out. We all die.

I am a senior and was getting upset that I was so tired yet the doctor can't find anything wrong with me.

I am much happier accepting that I am just wearing out and do what I can and not worry about what I can't do.

I am at peace. Every living creature grows old and dies.

Mother sleeps alot too. The more we can get her up to walk w her walker or holding hands the better also in her wheelchair motoring by herself. She likes to go out for certain things. She usually sleeps alot for two or three days then we have an outing. When she is rested she asks were can we go just to get out. She likes rides in the car with the music on. The more someone her age moves around the better as it keeps muscles toned. She can walk up steps when it is at a Chinese Restaurant. Keeping her hydrated helps too. This is in addition to seeing a good Doctor, vitamins, pills for various conditions and healthy living environment.

I'm a caregiver to a beautiful 89 yr old w/dementia. I stay with her 24/7 with a fill-in on Saturday afternoon and Sunday am till Sunday pm. She has two adult children one male one female. My client and I are on a routine, which is also becoming a little irregular due to the dementia, even so we still have a routine. She has three meals a day, she is eating less but Dr. said to supplement w/dietary drink, she is also sleeping more and states she is "just plain tired". Here is my problem...one of her adult children comes withouy little notice stating she will be staying with Mom for a few days every so often and when here begins to rearrange care and it throws both client and myself off. It was stated that "I know how Mom thinks, I've stayed with her x amount of days." Correct me if I'm wrong, but with dementia no one knows how they think or what they are thinking...right or wrong?

My 91 yr old mother has gone through this several times at a few times became so weak that I took her to the emergency room. She was showing no signs of any illness which is the primary reason I said to myself, "something is wrong and i don't know what to do". Every time I took her to the emergency room or her doctor she was dehydrated. They hydrated her intraveinously (?lol, spell?) and within 1 to 2 hr's she started pepping up. When finished she was back to normal. We have an ongoing battle about drinking 6 glasses of water per day. I'm lucky to get 2 into her. According to her doctor no other liquid will do and she hates water. The worse part of this is that they will eventually refuse to re-hydrate. It is considered to be something she can do and if she refuses insurance will not pay. At any rate, I would surely take her to the doctor and have this checked out. Coffee and tea are dehydraters. Hope this helps.

@ darcy..any answer to your post? Dad's doing this..just wondered.

i am having the same problem she has ever been a big eatter maybe 2 peas now she is down to one. i give her ensure, she just says shas no appetite she will be 90 in three weeks drove until april had fall and another may tried everything wnht her feel better..................

i am new a caregiving, she is 90 and ive been with her almost 2 years and i think she giving up living. she dont want to do nothing but sleep, i got to wake her to eat, go to b/r . should i leave her sleep as much as she wants? she takes no meds, she dont see to good and dont want to walk with her walker, any ideas? its so sad.....

my 90 year old mother gets "weak, dizzy, sometimes nauseaus" usually about an hour after breakfast. On a good day, she walks 1/4 to 1/2 mile, but then will have a spell of several weeks when the weak dizzy nausea plagues her. Sugar tested, heart tested, blood tested, gall bladder, etc. What could it be that makes her feel so lousy sometimes?

Thank you, linda and christina.

That is great news, linda! It made me smile when I read that.

As far as brushing her teeth goes she can do it herself with no issues, but I have to watch over her and make sure she actually does it. So I basically just lead her into the washroom and make sure all goes well before she sleeps. Her gums look a little raw so I have to make sure she doesn't brush too hard.

I can't thank you two and everyone else who posted in this thread enough for the kind words, suggestions and insight. You are all so incredibly wonderful .

JoeSam,
Good to hear the feedback on Grandma:) Yes, the dreaded UTI. There is an antibiotic called Macrodantin, given daily to prevent UTIs. Really helps!
Can you simply brush her teeth for her? My Mother at 94 has all her own teeth, and we brush and floss her teeth after every meal. Easy to do when they are finished in the bathroom. Just stop at the sink, brush teeth, and her tongue.
YOU are a very good Granddaughter, dear one:) Hugs, Christina xo

1 2 3 4