Why does my mother complain that she is cold when it is 90 degrees outside?

Every night my 86 year mother complains that her feet are cold. She has socks on her feet and I wrap them in 2 blankets. They don't feel cold. Is it her imagination?

Because she is cold.

The mechanisms in our body that control how we perceive temperature may not continue to function reliably all of our lives.
She's either REALLY cold, or maybe has neuropathy in her feet. My feet can feel like they're burning up, but not to the touch. My mom's feet used to turn white and be ice cold, but not to the touch. It was neuropathy.
Could also be from lack of circulation or a medication she is taking. My Mother does the same thing, my husband & I will be roasting even though she has on long sleeves pants, & a sweater!!!! But when I feel of her legs & feet, they are like ice-sooo....she probably does feel cold. Anyway, that is my theory.
My mother is the same way. She is, like most elderly, not usually really sufficiently hydrated. I wonder if there may not be a correlation between hydration and internal thermostatic efficiency. Note that in general most people are not sufficiently hydrated but not as badly dehydrated as the elderly tend toward.
Consider low thyroid, low responsiveness to thyroid hormone, as well as just lower metabolism or poorer circulation. Most of the time, thyroid tests are OK, but if someone is also constipated, anemic, and has very dry skin it is especially worth checking. I guess I am just clutching at hopes there may something more treatable, rather than just keeping your house at 76 degrees all the time. My mom was cold almost all the time too, but also would get too hot sitting outside on a sunny day for very long. She had long-standing hypothyroidism and got some dose increases when her TSH was just a little high, and that got things corrected somewhat, but she still wore a sweater indoors year round! Other times, apparently older people on thyroid medication need their dose reduced due to slower metaboism of the hormone. Probably more often, it is not the htyroid but just that some older people can't adapt as well or as efficiently to different temperatures.
My father has neuropathy and he feels like his legs, feet, and lower back are on fire.
What can be done to make it feel better?
My Mom doesn't seem to feel anything. She tells me the shower is too hot. No matter how much cold I add, she'll insist it is hot. Sometimes she'll say it is cold, and it is hot.

As far as neuropathy, my dad recently went to a Rheumatologist (sp) and he was able to help him.
usually their blood is thinner and circulation is the problem. she is 80 something. she has a right to feel anyway she wants.
My 89 year old MIL who lived with us for 28 months and is now in a ALF was diagnosed with Meleodysplasia. Her hemoglobin count would vary from 7-11. Her lowest hit 4.3 as she was dehydrated because she was not taking in her fluids. It would be 80 outside and she would put on her long johns with polar fleece pants and tops. Good luck!
My Dad is 76, he is always cold, on a 90 degree day he will wear a sweatshirt sitting out in the sun, he complains that the house is kept below zero when it is set for 78. This has been a complaint of his for the last 10 years or so. Recently when he had a stroke, the hospital told us that his Normal body tempature is 96, where Normal for most people is 98.6. This is what causes most of it, when his temp is 98.6 he is running a high fever. Anyway we let him be comfortable, keep him drinking fluids when out in the heat, and will make he take off the sweatshirt when the temps are higher than 90. Makes it hard but it can be normal thing take your mom's tempurature regularly for a while, and see where her normal is, and go from there.