Should I drop my mother’s supplemental insurance now that she is on hospice?

Mom has been on Hospice since May. Her nurse feels that moms "failure to thrive" and last stage Dementia will qualify her to stay on Hospice till she passes whether its 3 months, 6 months or a year from now. Mom has a secondary supplemental insurance plan along with the Medicare. Hospice is paid thru Medicare. Paying that supplement premium is not a financial hardship but that extra money would be nice to use to pay someone to come sit with mom, so I can get a break. I used to take mom to a local PCH for respite once in a while.They charged me next to nothing since mom and I know owners. The PCH did it really as a favor to me so I could get a moment to breathe.
However, mom is now too bad to go there and have her needs met. I know that paying someone to come to the house will cost alot more and that supplement insurance premium money will help with cost.
I know also that Hospice does pay for a 5day respite care every 3 months or so. But honestly, it would be nice to get a break once or twice a month.
So should I continue to pay for the supplemental insurance even if she is no longer using it?

Having been in the situation where I was the caregiver for my Mom, I truly know how much some free time can mean to the caregiver. I would recommend you continue paying the supplemental care. Having that bit of "breathing room", as I used to call it, does re-energize you and give you some quality time for yourself. You, as the caregiver, need to take good care of yourself as well...for yourself and your family.
Don't drop the supplemental coverage in the middle of a crisis. Ever.
If they are in the last stages of dying and are going to remain on Hospice, why do I need the supplemental insurance? That's what I am asking as well as the OP.
No. The hospice can charge "room and board" for long-term patients and this is NOT covered by Medicare. Read your contract.
I think the writer is asking about whether to keep paying for the Medicare supplement premiums rather than getting supplemental care (that's usually covered a few hours a day by hospice).
Being a caregiver I totally understand needing some down time, however, I would not drop moms supplemental insurance. As others mentioned above, if your mom should improve to the point of being put on stable status, she will need her supplemental. I have worked for a hospice for a long time and have seen many pts get better with hospice services. Many have gone off and on services before they declined for the last time. Does your hospice offer you a volunteer? One would be able to sit with mom for a few hrs so you could have time to yourself.
I'm answering in complete ignorance of your mother's particulars, but my 91-year-old mother was on hospice for 31 days on 'general debility' having lost her mental capacity and ability to do rehab for a fractured pelvis. She then recovered her mind, did her rehab, and has now been home for 4 months, gaining in strength and completely lucid. Because hospice blocked 90 days of care dates in the Medicare system, no one she has seen since hospice revocation can be paid yet, but they will be paid eventually using the supplemental insurance, once hospice gets paid. I also kept up her prescription drug coverage. Take my experience with a grain of salt, as it may not be like yours at all. Everything depends on your reading of your mother's situation and your confidence in her other caregivers. Blessings, and good luck.
That is a hard one, isn't it?

Can you talk to the insurance company regarding whether the insurance can be reinstated in the unlikely even your mother comes off hospice?
They told me that meds not related to the hospice diagnosis or care would stil have to be covered by regular Medicare so you might want to see what the likelihood of that might be. Hospice also does not cover residential fees in assisted living or skilled nursing, maybe only briefly if you are in an inpatient hospice setting, but then Medicare does not cover much of that iether, unless you are in an active rehab phase and makng progress in a skilled nursing (subacute) setting, which is not normaly expected while on hospice.
Here is my problem. Can anyone out there help me? My 90 year old aunt is in a private residence/ nursing home in Austin, Tx. She is on Medicare and Hospice and pays $400+ a month in supplemental insurance. Hospice is covering all her medications and she has a DNR on file. Should we drop her supplemental policy and put the $400+ into the residential facility cost ?