My grandmother recently passed away and she had a lot of unused expensive medication. Can I donate it?

My grandmother passed away on February 13. She had lots of unused medication some never even opened. I know how expensive medicine is and I would like to donate it rather than throw it away. Anyone know if this is possible.
me too , since doc changes my dad s meds all times and theres bunch of em left .. waste his money and i thought about the people who cant afford to buy them could used it ,m , but then again i dont know if you can do that ??
i kept it unless if doc puts him back on it again so he;ll have em.
Grandaughter: my condolences for your loss. Be very careful. medication is only suitable for the patient it is perscribed for and i am fairly certain that u shouldnt give it anyone else. go to your local chemist and speak to the pharmacist or the gp's receptionist one of them should put you on the right path and should advise you how to dispose of the medication. i know it is a waste and your intentions are very thoughtful but obviously no two people are the same and you have to be very careful about giving people medication that is not perscribed for them. hope this is useful.
My circumstances are exactly the same, but I was on chemo drugs and when the time came that they weren't needed, I gave them to the oncologist and she took them to use for underinsured or poor patients.
I'm sorry for your loss. You might want to go to the free clinics in your area and talk with the medical staff there. They may need some of the medication to give to their patients who can't afford them or don't need the full amount. Hope this helps.
EXCELLENT QUESTION!
It is illegal to give drugs prescribed for one person to any other person even if the other person is currently taking the same drug. We are also discouraged from "flushing them down the toilet" because this pollutes our water. And we sure don't want them just sitting around our house for curious children or experimenting teenagers to get hold of. So what do we do with those medications? I asked my doctor that exact question when my father passed away. He shrugged and said the pharmaceutical companies ought to recycle them but they carefully evade that responsibility because it might cost them money. I did notice recently that a local, independent pharmacy started their own recycling program. You return and unused medications you purchased there and they dump them all into a big bin and haul them off somewhere to be cremated. All of the plastic bottles are recycled through the usual plastic reclamation centers. Perhaps you can lobby your local pharmacy to do this...
I tried to give away his glocose strips but no one wanted them and since the meters are free I threw them out and in my state they the pharmacies will not take any meds back if you throw themmaways do not wash they down the sink they can get into the ground water more docs should give samples away they get tons of them from the sales reps if the meds are in blister packs a pharmacy may take them you can ask
Sorry, Charlie, No meds allowed to circulate, even if it's the same illness. Toss the stuff. You did pay for it, did you not?
You did claim it also, right? Then down the commode it goes.
My sympathy to you. My Mom passed away on February 27, and we are facing the same dilemma. We are finding that doctors will take back medications (in some cases) with the promise that they will donate them to patients in financial distress. My Mom used prescription pain patches, and the doctor has welcomed receiving these back. We are waiting to hear from the others. I have a feeling it might depend upon whether the container is still sealed from the manufacturer.
Hi---In reply to your question, I would say that you are probably best off to dispose of the medications..The reason is what is good for one individual may not be for the next..henceforth it will do more harm than good. Even a pharmacy cannot take back any meds that are sealed and unused. Also there is an expiration date on most meds - and that has to be factored in. The thought of donating the meds may be a good one-but in reality it could be harmful, or unknown to you-it can even be tampered with.

Hopefully this will be of help to you in your decision making.

Hap