mimi15236 Asked March 2010

My mother suffers from night terrors and cries out for help until 3 am. How can I help her?

23

Answers

1 3
sherry1anne Nov 2014
The visiting nurse suggested that I try an herb, valerian for my mother. I had tried melatonin which made her groggy the next day (but I have heard that it also helps with Alzheimers), L-Tryptophan and chamomile tea. The valerian seems to be working, but you never know when the night terrors will come on. it seems that they are worse when we are dealing with the UTI. Many nights I have just had to lay down by her and comfort her, although she is usually inconsolable. She often screams to the top of her lungs, sometimes whimpers and cries. Sometimes this bleeds over into the days, especially if she falls asleep on the chair or sofa. Doctors don't seem to have a cure for night terrors. They can happen to anybody at any age, but they seem to be worse with the elderly.

partsmom Nov 2014
Sleep meds often don't work on frail older people--my MIL during her last few months of lung cancer would lay awake at night and cry out that she wanted to die. The dr tried every sleeping pill in the book and nothing worked. He told us that what she could face during and day and what they were at 3am were totally different. We finally had family members take turns staying with her at night.

sherry1anne Nov 2014
I went back and red some posts. Ambien has some pretty bad side effects - like people doing things that they don't remember the next morning. I had a tenant that took it and she called me up in the middle of the night and blessed me out. Her husband told her about it. We had a good relationship, no problems she was horrified.

sherry1anne Nov 2014
In retrospect my mother's night terrors were caused by a UTI that was ongoing for over two years. She took flouriquinoline antibiotics and they ramped up to the crazy asylum type thing. Now she is good unless she gets a UTI. She should have that checked out. I just discovered some strips in the drug store that you can use to do it at home.
Maybe you should have a social worker do a welfare check on your mother.

jeannegibbs Nov 2014
worryandsad, does your brother have Power of Attorney for Mom?

How does your brother feel about Mom moving in with you?

Has your mother said what she would like?

worryandsad Nov 2014
I'm worry about my Mom, She live's with my brother, and his one of 14 sibling, his the 7th child..My Mother has Dementia, he keeps her away from all of her kids grand-kids and great-grand-kids, she had a cell phone, and he took it away, She does repeat her safe, she scare to sleep by her safe, and she want someone to be there with her..he live's her along, let her sleep until 4pm or more. I want to take her, home with me, I live along, My brother has his wife, and Daughter. Mom will be along, she fell's like she the only one home..please help..I want her..she's 86yrs.old

sherry1anne May 2014
If she has taken any fluoroquinolones antibiotics it can cause this for an extended period of time after the medication was completed. My mother has had these terrors more than 2 weeks after finishing levofloxacin 500. Check the black box warning you can find it on line, against giving elderly fluoroquinolones. I took my mother to the ER with hallucinations & screaming night terrors.

N1K2R3 Dec 2012
There are specific medications for night terrors. See your neurologist for this.
Be very careful with all meds that affect the brain. Go with Melatonin for now until you receive a specific diagnosis.

Houston Dec 2012
WE have started giving my mother, who has Alzheimer's, GABA 500mg at night. You can purchase it at most health food stores and even some pharmacys. GABA is natural to you body. She no longer is suffering from the nightly bad dreams and is not as iritated during the day. Take some for yourself as well. It just calms the brain and you don't feel like you have been medicated in the morning.

suegillett Nov 2012
my mother has mid stage of kidney failure , she has sever pain in her lower back and can not take pain meds . they gave her a low dose viciden and she sees awful things at night during the day she is fine but she remembers what she saw and its not pretty it is so real to her and very scary the meds take along time to get out of her system

1 3