mydog1 Asked August 2010

Can my husband purchase my Mother's home to insure that if I cannot take care of her she will qualify for Medicaid?

I am an only child.

2

Answers

punkersad Aug 2010
Medicaid is different in different states. In My State (illinois) If you have 5 years before she goes to a home, you are fine with your husband taking it. If you do not have 5 years--- and you take care of your mother in her home as a caregiver for 2 years you might be able to have the home transferred to you if you can prove that she would have been in a nursing home if you did not take care of her.

maraljake Aug 2010
I understand that to qualify for Medicaid you can keep your home if she is able to reside in it. However, if she has any kind of savings or assets other than a home she needs to give it away or "make it disappear" five years before she's becomes eligible for Medicaid. My best advice would be to put everything in your or your husband's name asap. We found ourselves in that predicament with mom and she ultimately did not qualify.