Are caregivers allowed to live in low-income housing with the elderly person they are caring for?

Asked by
Answers 1 to 4 of 4
Interesting question-I would check this out with the housing authority municipality in the area you are planning to do this-as the rules and regs can possibly be different---Or- check out senior housing options thru you local chapter on aging.
Good Luck!
That IS a good question. a couple of months ago I was looking into options of living with mom or at least on the same grounds of various assisted living/nursing facilities but didn't get far in that quest.
I am guessing that the laws/regs vary from state to state so check with the powers that be that rent to your mom. My guess is that the answer will be no.
Top Answer
Yes, you need a letter from your Mom's physician stating she has the need for a live in aide/care giver. Present the letter to the site manager or management company. You will need to complete a live in aide application & pass a criminal background check. The live in aide's income nor assets are not counted to calculate the rent. A live in aide can be a friend or family member. This is considered a reasonable accommodation.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support