Can I claim my elderly mother, who has dementia and lives with me, as a dependent on my taxes?

My mother lives in my house because she had a stroke a couple of years ago. She now has dementia because of her stroke. She recieves an SSI check each month with pays for her food and her medical expenses. Other than that she has no income and no savings. All of her money went to going in the nursing home when she had a stroke. Can I claim her as a dependent even though she recieves an SSI check every month?

JaydenMarie, did you ever get an answer to your question? I have a related one. If you "do" claim her, is there a risk of her losing any medicare or medicaid benefits? Mine has expressed concern that that might happen.
You can claim her. , There is no loss to her.
My mother has a decent SS check. She lives with me, she has Alzhiemers and is in the late 5th stage. There for I can only work part time. She gets home health through Pass Port. so I can work. Can I claim her as my dependent on taxes.
Six Criteria for Qualifying Relatives
1.The dependent cannot be a qualifying child of another taxpayer.
2.The dependent earns less than the personal exemption amount during the year. For 2013, this means the dependent earns less than $3,900.
3.The taxpayer provides more than half of the dependent's total support during the year.
4.The taxpayer is related to the dependent in certain ways.
5.If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.
6.The dependent must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
of course you can. the irs will kick in your front door but you probably need an upgraded , insulated front door anyway. youll save on heating and cooling with the new front door. sometimes blessings make no sense at first.