When a Alzheimer person has a bowel obstruction and is throwing up, what's next?

She's 88, and hospice said that there is nothing (besides surgery,and she's too weak for that) that can be done, what should I expect?

18

Answers

If she's on strong pain meds, they have a side effect of monster constipation.
Those meds can also irritate some people's stomach. I know they do mine if I don't have something substantial in my stomach before hand. I think most hospice patients are not eating substantially anymore, so there's bound to be a problem eventually.

Constipation can make you nauseous.
So can bowel impaction, which not the same thing as a blockage that kills intestinal tissue.

A doctor needs to weigh in for you. None of us can diagnose via a website.
Bowel impactions are treatable - enema, laxative, manual removal. It's not for the weak of stomach, but the person's relief after is immediate.

Hospice isn't there to make any conditions improve other than pain, since there's no point when someone is in the dying process. *HOWEVER*, it's very tricky sometimes to know when a treatment is for relief and won't prolong life.

If mom has a bowel impaction from pain meds and not taking in enough water & fiber (from not eating really), then the discussion has to be around will more water prolong life, and does mom want that? If she gets ice chips or popsicles to stay more hydrated, what would that hurt?

I wouldn't jump to drastic conclusions or worst-case until a doctor checks her out.

I so agree; it is really an obstruction and she or he might get contamination throughout her body and there no reason for this. I don't know how hospice and i also would get on given a few of the things i often hear.

These days there seems to be so many possibilities; do as Nina suggested and search the web.
My friends mom had a large tumor in her stomach. She could not use anesthesia so they gave her a spinal and went to her stomach through the rectum...success and no cancerous!

My mother had a bowel obstruction and a nurse did a manual extraction. Usually this is done in a hospital with a doctor overseeing the procedure. She also had numerous laxatives and enemas. Google bowel obstruction and get some information on the subject for alternative treatments besides surgery and then discuss the options with your doctor or the Hospice doctor.

Thank you for writing. Black can mean blood so I hope all is okay. I also take care of my Mom with dementia/alz in my home, can your Mom walk? I am debating a hoyer lift as she is declining also. Keep up the miralax and try this, they love it...
2 small cans prune juice (about 5.5 oz each)
Small single serving of applesause
Fill applesause container 2x with brain flakes
Add some sugar if want
Boil all in saucepan slowly for about 10 mins on stove.
Cool and keep in fridge in a jar. I give moms am/pm pills with it to keep her poopin, she loves it.
Keep in touch.

My mom is still on soft bland foods, she finally had a BM which was very black, hospice has been here everyday keeping watch over her. She does seem to be improving since Sunday, sleeping a lot. Thanks so much for all your comments and concerns, I will keep you informed if it gets worse.

I am so glad to hear she is improving but what was it, constipation or obstruction? Miralax is for constipation and my Mom is on a teaspoon every morning no matter what AND eats prune pudding I make 2x daily. PLease let us know whats going on, you have a lot of caregivers out here worried and trying to help and we really care. Thanks

Thanks everyone, my mom has been on Miralax and is improving. We are changing her diet to bland foods and she quit throwing up. Will wait to see if this solves the problem, it was quite an experience.

ask your doctor as gastro doctor if there are newer easy methods of treating bowel obstruction these days and i'd get to the buttom of why she is throwing up so you can at least stop that. and who is to say that the outcome of surgery would be difficult. That is a question for the/a surgeon. get a few opinions.

The treatment is grueling. They pump out her bowel through her nostril for a few days. Then they cut her open and remove the blocked section of her bowel and then they attach that section of the bowel to the side of her and give her a colonostomy bag, that must be cared for on her side. My grandmother did this and stroked out within a week of surgery.

Sadly- to end the vomiting, she will probably have to end solid food. How salient is she?

Are her BM's all mucus? That would indicate a total blockage.