When a Alzheimer person has a bowel obstruction and is throwing up, what's next?

She's 88, and hospice said that there is nothing (besides surgery,and she's too weak for that) that can be done, what should I expect?

tell a dr to dee if there r alternative treatments; i'd hate to see her throwing up and in pain with an obstruction for the remainder of her life; i think something should be done!
It is somewhat hard to know but my thoughts would be she will become increasing weaker... Is she getting any nutrition by IV or anything? My Grandmother's hip broke and she fell, she had the surgery however she gave up and within 3 wks she was gone. She would not eat and just became weaker. This is hard I know I would encourage you to request that they keep her comfortable....
Question, does your mother have a advanced care directive? what are her wishes? If hospice says there is no alternatve that she can survive, why question their judgement. It's natural for us to want to hold on tho our LOs as long as possible, but this nay very well be natures way of saying enough. Take into consideration the tortures the medical profession can inflict in the name of extending life. My wife at age 65 with AD had the same symptoms. She had surgery, dx'ed with stage 4 bowel cancer, told she'd die w o chemo. Her response I wish I would rather than linger with AD. Now stage 5 Ad with bowel cancer living hell
i have the same problem. The doctor told me to take Miralax everyday. Try it. it may help her.
I would get her to a REAL HOSPITAL AND DONT LISTEN TO HOSPICE IN THIS CASE, THEY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DO THINGS LIKE THIS! !!!!!!!! NO ONE CAN LIVE LIKE THAT, SHE NEEDS HELP IF ITS AN OBSTRUCTION AND NOT CONSTIPATION. I will say a prayer for you, oh my, poor thing.
I so agree; this is an obstruction and she could get an infection throughout her body and there is no reasoon for this! I am not sure how hospice and I would get along given some of the things i have heard. An obstruction could be causing pain and i would never let my LO keep throwing up. Good way for your LO to get dehydrated.
There are times to let nature take hold but in my view this is a case where LO needs treatment. REAL HOSPITAL NOW!!!! Or, the ER with a copy of the report that says she has an obstruction.
PPs. I can't believe Hospice, whose prime function is to ease the transition, would arbitrarily conclude this obstruction is an event that can be treated with simplistic remedies like a laxative. There is a reason mom is in Hospice care, her life expectancy is limited and normally choosing Hospice includes a decision, no heroics, such as surgery on a debilitated 88 yr old, assuming you could find a surgeon willing to perform a procedure that will most likely not have a good outcome. Think about why mom was placed in Hospice and let them make her comfortable
Hospice is not the same as a skilled nursing facility or hospital. The hospice staff is specifically trained in palliative care - to ease any pain and unnecessary suffering of patients that are dying. The key words here are PALLIATIVE and DYING. Your mom was placed in such a facility by the suggestion of her health care providers for a reason. I understand that you hold out hope for a possible recovery or her living much longer than is expected, but that's not keeping it real and may be unfair to her. To easy your mind, I'd suggest you have her primary care provider have a look at her. He/she may be able to help ease her and your suffering.
The treatment is grueling. They pump out her bowel through her nostril for a few days. Then they cut her open and remove the blocked section of her bowel and then they attach that section of the bowel to the side of her and give her a colonostomy bag, that must be cared for on her side. My grandmother did this and stroked out within a week of surgery.

Sadly- to end the vomiting, she will probably have to end solid food. How salient is she?

Are her BM's all mucus? That would indicate a total blockage.
ask your doctor as gastro doctor if there are newer easy methods of treating bowel obstruction these days and i'd get to the buttom of why she is throwing up so you can at least stop that. and who is to say that the outcome of surgery would be difficult. That is a question for the/a surgeon. get a few opinions.