IWhat should I do if I have an Alcoholic Aging Sister on West Coast and I'm on the East Coast?

Asked by

I have an alcoholic (extremely) aging sister in the LA area, any ideas about what I can do from a distance other than call. She has been on a bender most of the past 6 months, I can not afford to fly out there or offer any $ for her. I'm still supporting my grown children in this economy.

Answers 1 to 1 of 1
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
Even if you go out there, you may not get anywhere with her. Alcoholism is a disease. Your sister is not likely to accept any help until she is desperate enough to do so.

If she bottoms out, there is help for her through treatment centers. You may benefit from going to Al-Anon. These people can help you cope with your grief (and unearned guilt) over not being able to help your sister.

Social Services may be able to help get her to treatment if she drinks at home and they visit and she is obviously unable to care for herself. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do for her, but you can help yourself.

This is a very sad story, but not uncommon. If you go to Al-Anon, you will find out you have company in your grief.

Please check back and let us know how you are doing.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support