My parents are moving into HUD housing. They intend on keeping their home and letting my brother live in it.

Started by

My father has Alzheimers. Should he eventually go to a nursing home, how will it effect my parents house if they require medicaid. The home will no longer be their primary residence. Should they do a life estate deed and put my brother on the deed. Which is the best protection


See a an attorney specializing in Elder Law.
HUD considers a home an asset. If your parents are moving into HUD housing, this asset will be taken into consideration for their rental computation. Owning a home increases their assets and in turn becomes income. Increased income = higher rent to pay to HUD each month. Best bet: make sure their names are not on any large assets like their home so their income isn't inflated and they will be charged a lower rent.
Taking their house out of their names is not a good idea if your parents are going to try to get medicaid. Medicaid will ask for several years past records. As Jeannegibbs said, see an elder law attorney.

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support