I called Social Security to obtain Form SSA -1099 for mom who passed away. She has a Family Trust. The original trust cannot be located.


My Mother passed away August 14th 2012. The original trust cannot be located. I was told that Social Security WOULD NOT issue this form without the original trust. I am the executrix and I have copies of the original trust and a copy of her will. Before her death my Mother and I went to the Law Firm that wrote the original trust and an Attorney added a First Amendment To Trust Indenture naming me as co-trustee. Also generated on that day was a Certification of Trust Both Documents Show Me As Co-Trustee. The Trust has been executed as per written. However, SS WILL NOT ISSUE A 1099. What remedies are there in order to file for her taxes for 2012?? The ORIGINAL TRUST INDENTURE DOCUMENT CANNOT BE FOUND!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing


I understand that if you have the SSN of the individual and birth date, that you can obtain the income for that year Social Security Adminstration's website online.

I agree with NotHisFault. My mom established a trust last year. My brother and I are co-trustees. We all three have a copy of the trust documents. Mom's lawyer has the trust documents on file in his office. When I called last week to ask the lawyer a question about the trust, he consulted the trust documents in his office as I didn't have my documents with me at the time. So, check with the lawyer who set up the trust.

Typically, an original of the trust documents are given to the family - and an original is kept by the law firm (for the very reason that the family may lose their original) - so the law firm you used should have an original as well that you can obtain.