Notes on dealing wih us old folks:
1. When you speak and we say ,"Huh?" don't laugh at us...it's hard enough on us knowing our bodies can no longer work like they used to. And don't say,"Nevermind!"....this let's us know what a burden we are or makes us feel unwanted or like we don't matter and causes us to retreat. We can understand you if you LOOK AT US WHEN YOU SPEAK AND DON'T MUMBLE.
2. When we ask you to do something our way, don't get all huffy....we have done it this way for years and know which way works BEST FOR US! Remember we'd rather be doing it ourselves!
3. When we become a little bitchy...keep in mind that it's not you we're mad at. We're mad at our bodies and mind for failing us.
4. When we tell the same stories over and over again...we are not trying to bore you. We are reliving a happy time or at least memorable time in our life. Remembering when our bodies and minds worked like a charm.
5. When we have to take a walker, wheelchair, cane, etc. with us , don't make a big deal out of it(we know it's a pain in the ass). And it's embarrassing enough knowing we have to use it. And if we feel like it's too much we will retreat.
And lastly but most importantly REMEMBER THIS: Old people don't want to be alone...they choose to because those around us at some time made us feel embarrassed, like a burden or unwanted...so it's easier to stay at home by ourselves...LONELY!