In the state of GA, if you do not have POA, you are not obligated to care for your elder parent.

Started by

You can simply walk away.


What is your question?
It is not a question. Simply a statement
cmagnum did you know that if an adult child does not have guardianship or power of attorney they can just walk away?
And many do, and others, like me, just can't seem to find the doorknob.
I didn't know that, but I do know that some states have filial responsibility laws like Alaska, Kentucky, New Jersey, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina, Utah, California, Maryland, North Dakota, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Ohio, Virginia, Delaware, Mississippi, Oregon, West Virginia, Georgia, Montana, Pennsylvania.

Good luck in finding the doorknob.
Indiana Nevada Rhode Island Puerto Rico
Iowa New Hampshire South Dakota

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support