I need help with my father's life at home when he is not getting the proper care.

Started by

they live in a moble home and they have bugs in the house and my mother act like nothing is wrong. She doesn't not check my dad sugar like she should and he goes to the hospital with low sugar reading.


Someone once told me that calling Adult Protective Services can be the best thing to do. It scared me because I did not want to get one of my parents in trouble. You might call them and tell them the situation and see if there are any resources.
The Health department would have words about an infested house.
If there is infestation of bugs or rodents, there is reason for it--it means they are not handling food and cleaning properly.
Messy is acceptable, filth is not.
The suggestion about Adult Protective Services is a good one...especially while they are in their own home. It starts a document trail you might need, later.
They might just need in-home caregivers to assist them.
But Adult Protective Care can help decide that, or if Assisted Living is better, or other solutions.
If you are going to risk calling APS, maybe you should consider sitting down with your folks and having a serious heart to heart. Tell them that it's time for bug control and a company needs to be called to handle the problem. Is your dad of sound mind. Can he check his own blood sugar?

I just think it's going to hit the fan if you involve APS. That may be what you need to do. I'm just suggesting some firm intervention on your part first. If that doesn't work, then call in the big guns.

In home help would be nice, but your dad's blood sugar needs to be checked often and his food choices sensible. That would talk full time care.

Good Luck, Cattails

Good luck,
I agree with Cattails. APS can go either way. They may help or they may try to place your parents in a nursing home. I would definitely speak to them and offer some suggestions and talk to your dad about his blood sugar. You may be able to ask the doctor for a referral for home health aids and a visiting nurse to come for a while. If they have Medicare they will pay. The nurse could teach your dad or mom how to check the blood sugar and the aids could clean the place. These places also have exterminators. My own thought would to use APS as the last resort if everything else fails.
Why is your mother responsible for Dad's blood sugar tests? What are his impairments? If she is responsible, why isn't she doing it? Does she have impairments, such as memory problems, that make it hard for her to do it?

Why does your father's blood sugar get so low? Does he not eat regularly? Has he been sick? Is he taking too much insulin and/or medication? Has the hospital trip for this reason happened more than once? Does he have some dementia? Does he not recognize his own symptoms for low blood sugar in time to take action, such as drinking milk or orange juice? How long has he been diabetic?

By "bugs in the house" do you mean a few ants or an army of cockroaches? Do your parents live in a part of the country where bugs are a common problem and exterminator visits are routine? Can you just help them set an appointment up or routine maintenance if that is appropriate?

It is hard for me to get a sense of the extent and nature of the problems here. It is possible that Mom and/or Dad have health needs and impairments that make it hard for them to live safely on their own. Instead of calling Adult Protective Services, I would start with the Social Services department in their county. They can do an assessment of need and make recommendations for county services and other community resources that would allow them to continue to live independently for a while longer, and also have suggestions for when the time comes that they continue safely continue in their own home.

It is loving of you to want to see that they get help. Good luck to you all!
Your approach is so sensible!
It is a very good idea to try other things first, before calling APS.
If dad goes to the hospital see if the social worker can find local resources and, if necessary, call APS. Two needy people, leaning on each other, is a tragedy waiting to happen. Sometimes there are no good answers

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support