Afraid of my mother setting fire to her apartment


My mother lives on her own in an apartment. She is a severe alcoholic who also swows signs of dementia. She smokes and sometimes falls asleep(passes out) with lit cigarette or food on the stove or in the oven. I try to come by as much as I can usually around 4-5 times a week. I go to the store for her, do the dishes, clean up, make her something to eat. Anyway it she is getting worse and I cannot deal with it anymore as she gets into fights with me more and more. What can I do for her? She needs supervised living so she does not harm herself or others. My question is how do get legal say over her life to get her the proper treatment as I know she will not do so willingly. Thank you for your help

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing


Another thing you can try, which I did, is take her for a Geriatric Assessment at a Speciality Clinic. Not only did they confirm my mom's alcoholism, but also told me my mom has severe Personality Disorders. I didn't even know what that was, so they were of tremendous help to me in evaluating her, and diagnosing what I later learned to be a lifelong problem (finding actual psychiatric diagnosis reports confirming their assessment)! It was an eye-opener for me. They can help you get the documentation you need to help you get the legal standing you need to take over the "care and feeding" of your mom, and manage her affairs. I must warn you against court involvement, if-at-all-possible! I did so, and it's been a nightmare ever since. Actually, dealing with mom has been a nightmare since I was born, but that's a story for another day. God bless your efforts, and may He help you on your journey!

Thank you so much for the info. I will contact them.

contact the ER that you believe that your mother is in such a state of mind that she is a danger to herself. That's enough to get her picked up and committed for some evaluation and help.